Engineers and Historical Society Pull Together to Create a Farm Museum
Quinebaug Valley Engineers Association members delighted show goers with this 1950s-vintage Model 99-H Austin-Western grader. This machine has all-wheel drive, and four-wheel steering two features especially useful when grading ditches and crowning roads. Privately owned, the machine now resides at the Zagray Farm Museum where it maintains roads and offers untold entertainment.
Popeye and Ryan Vertefeuille pulled this old International Harvester No. 15 bale press out of a New Hampshire barn more than 10 years ago.
Quinebaug Valley Engineers Association board member Dave Dziomba of Norwich works his International trailing plow pulled here by his 1948 Farmall Model H.
Bob Hanna has at least a score of Ford tractors in his collection. He has restored about 15 of them and uses the others to farm. This Model 541 Offset Workmaster was one of his most challenging restoration efforts, but it is also one of his most cherished pieces.
Show volunteer and Quinebaug Valley Engineers Association member Dave Chester says that dust control is one of his favorite jobs during any show, especially when it means he gets to operate the club´s 1938 Caterpillar R-2 farm crawler.
A view through part of the forest of chainsaws displayed by Tom Maikshilo at the 2005 Quinebaug Valley Engineers Association show.
Rod Nosal brought this 1915 1-1/2 hp air-cooled New Way engine to the 2005 Quinebaug Valley Engineers Association show. The engine is an early horizontal-type New Way, and is in relatively original condition. Rod made the truck using cast wheels obtained from an Amish foundry.
Phillip Withington´s original condition Caterpillar Twenty Eight orchard crawler looks at home beneath this apple tree. This is one of several Cats in Phillip´s collection.
Ford´s answer to other manufacturers´ specialty row-crop tractors was the 541 Offset Workmaster. This fine example is Bob Hanna´s pride and joy. Note the adjustable front axle, and the clutch and brake pedals in front of the seat. Unlike International´s Culti-Vision tractors, the 541´s operator station was centered between the rear wheels and extra ballast was added to the right rear axle to improve stability.
Ken Avery is really into crawler tractors he has been collecting them for more than 15 years. Ken counts over a dozen Cletracs in his collection, including this beautifully restored and rare (one of 150 made) 1935 unstyled Model BG.
A Quinebaug Valley Engineers Association volunteer puts the club´s vintage dragline through its paces in the museum´s sand pit.
This massive Northwest Shovel is a permanent resident in the Zagray Farm Museum´s sand pit.