A U.S. Wind Engine & Pump Co. Model E, circa 1905, on display in front of the former Appleton windmill factory built in 1901. The restored facility now houses Batavia city offices. The massive 14-foot wheel is supported by a tower within a tower that was cut from telephone poles. The Model E was particularly popular with southern Great Plains ranchers.
Photo By Leslie C. McManus