Connecticut Antique Machinery Association More Than a Club
The Connecticut Antique Machinery Association, or CAMA, is committed to building a permanent display
CAMA member Pat Moran starting the Simplicity engine that powers the log saw.
The Cream Hill Agricultural School, which operated from 1845-69, was surrounded by vintage cars during the 26th annual CAMA Fall Festival in 2010.
Doug DeCosta’s fully restored Centaur garden tractor with a 5 hp New Way gas engine was originally used on a 12-acre orchard.
Originally built as a steam engine, this 10 hp one-cylinder engine was converted to run on well gas by A.C. Thomas in the early 1900s. So-called “half-breed” engines eliminated delays caused by the amount of time it took to get steam engines up and running. This display (housed in an authentic pump house salvaged from the woods) re-creates actual field use, when there was no electricity at remote oil field sites.
Engine No. 5, the heart of an operating narrow-gauge steam railroad at CAMA. Built in 1925 for Hawaii Railway Co., the engine was used in Hawaii until the late 1940s. Long-range plans call for the train to serve the association’s lower parking lot. CAMA purchased the engine late last year but a fund drive to repay the loan continues.
CAMA member Art Downs splitting wood.
This Robinson grist mill was built by Munson Bros., Utica, N.Y., in 1898. The escutcheon-type mill – with steel plates moving in opposite directions – grinds up to 3,000 pounds per hour at full capacity. The 2,000-pound mill was powered by a 1954 Wisconsin 4-cylinder engine.
Close-up look at the belt-driven oiler on Al’s Otto.
Al Provenzano’s 3-1/2 hp Otto was built in 1895. It is one of two of that model known to exist.