A trio of historic tractors at the first-ever Wheel Horse Show. Center: a 1954 Wheel Horse Ride Away, which owner Dan Messinger, East Berlin, Penn., found in North Carolina. At left: Mary Pence of Houston, Ohio, on her 1947 Pond. At right: Joe Papke, White Pigeon, Mich., on his 1947 Pond, which he's owned for 30 years. The Ponds - forerunners of the Wheel Horse - were made by Elmer Pond, who constructed them from spare parts, including Ford Model A transmissions and a lot of channel iron. They had tiller steering, no hoods or brakes, and were powered by Wisconsin gasoline engines.