Hayes Pump Trade Cards
By Farm Collector
This Hayes Pump & Planter Co. trade card stood out from the competition with a rotating illustrated wheel that displayed a variety of products in a cut-out window.
Courtesy of John Cole
More than a century ago, mechanical trade cards like this one for Hayes Pump & Planter Co., Galva, Ill., stood out from the standard trade card. An illustrated wheel spun behind the card, highlighting various products in a window on the front.
Founded in about 1880, Hayes ran a successful business in pumps and 2- and 4-wheel corn planters. The easily recognizable Hayes 4-wheel planter had two wheels on each side set at an angle to each other, “duplicating the action of a pair of skillful human hands,” in covering the seed corn.
In 1930, Hayes merged with Vulcan Plow Co., Peoria Drill & Seeder Co. and Roderick Lean Mfg. Co. The four firms formed Farm Tools Inc., with offices in Mansfield, Ohio. Farm Tools survived the Depression and made and marketed its four lines of equipment until at least World War II. FC
Grateful acknowledgement is given to John Cole, Kenyon, Minn., who contributed artwork for this issue’s Iron Age Ads.
To submit a vintage advertisement for publication, send it to: Iron Age Ads, Farm Collector, 1503 S.W. 42nd St., Topeka, KS 66609; or submit high-quality digital images by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.