1412 7th Street Harlan, Iowa 51537-1716
The 22nd annual Greenridge Steam and Gas Antique Show was held Saturday and Sunday, September 19 and 20, 1998. A huge crowd was on hand Saturday to see the festivities kick-off. President Alvin Musfeldt was happy with the turnout of exhibitors, performers, and spectators.
The new, much bigger blacksmith shop run by Steve Nelson, of Marne, made its debut. With the help of Jeff Allen of Omaha and Mark Brundige of Irwin, they fashioned items of iron. It was powered by a 1920 Fairbanks-Morse 20 HP 2-cycle diesel engine owned by John and James Weighton of Audubon. Also in the blacksmith shop was Walter Murray of Irwin who ran his wood-lathing machine off the same diesel engine. He demonstrated the making of candle-holders.
A new feature at the show was in the former broom-maker's building. Elmer 'Mike' and Janet Askew of Anita set up candle-dipping, weaving, and soap-making displays. Children and adults alike enjoyed trying their hand at making candles. The Askews devised a mixture of beeswax, paraffin, and tallow to make these. For their weaving they use an old-fashioned pattern called 'rose-walk.' However, they can do custom weaving, also. Their soap is made of tallow, water, and lye.
Howard Mickelson's 1915 Case steam engine running Don Ferry's 1902 Aultman-Taylor sawmill was a big drawing ticket. On hand to run both were Clark Ahrenholtz of Harlan, Marlowe Feldman of Albert City, Dick Wright and Max Miller of Villisca, Bob Nelson of Atlantic, John Thumma of Laurens, Andy Ras-mussen of Irwin, and Larry Blecha of Council Bluffs. These men also helped run the lumber-planing machine, the shingle-maker, and Howard and Don's half-size steam engine and sawmill.
The 1916 65-Case steam engine owned by the Greenridge Club threshed oats in the north field with engineers Danny Mickelson and Clark Ahrenholtz of Harlan. Helping were Dani Dee Mickelson and Tabi and Cami Ahrenholtz, plus many volunteers.
Dolores Mickelson, registrar, reported that the parade both days averaged 60 participants.
Saturday night the country music jamboree featured the Rancheros of the Sioux City area. Musicians came from all over Iowa and the Omaha, Nebraska, area, holding sessions all around the grounds both days. The public address system, provided by Ron Smith, Council Bluffs, aided in hearing the music and allowing for announcements to be heard every where. The Silver Creek Cloggers entertained Sunday afternoon.
Clark and Mary Ahrenholtz, of Harlan, displayed their 1930 Model A Ford and 1965 Ford Mustang. Lavon Christensen brought his 1956 Studebaker pickup. Dick and Joe Kates, Oakland, had on display over 33 rare antique hammers. Dick ran an 1870s jigsaw machine with 'foot power' while fashioning a puzzle of the U.S. Jim Clark, of Irwin, entertained with his chain-saw creations.
Ted Gollobit, of Manilla, and a host of helpers cooked up gallons of sorghum for a real taste treat.
The Western Iowa Antique Tractor and Engine Club was on hand flying their flag and bringing many tractors along with gas engines for viewing.
Seth Johannsen of Harlan showed his two gas engines. He also assisted in running the 50 HP Case engine.
Larry Clausen of Marcus made mini-bales of hay with his mini-baler. He used fresh clover for an aromatic touch.
The horse treadmill was run by Arlo Petersen and Gaylord Heilesen. They furnished the horses and demonstrated shelling and grinding corn. They also rigged up a pump-jack to pump water at the same time.
Fred Kwapiszeski of Panama lent his children's barrel ride. Various members ran this using a tractor furnished by Robinson Implement Company of Irwin.
Several rope-makers were on hand: Dudley Curry, Ponca, Nebraska; Megan Slagle and Kristen Rutherford of Harlan; and Alfred and Phyllis Schroeder of Breda, Iowa.
Robert Frels, Hershey, Nebraska, and Doug Frels, of Guthrie Center brought their 1912 Waterloo Boy 3 HP engine.
Buck Isaacs of Dennison, demonstrated his 1920s era Butter Kist Popcorn machine. It is gas-electric and used to be in the Sievers Drug Store at Westside.
Richard Wooster ground fresh rye and wheat flour with his 1918 Meadows grist mill. Don Hoover of Webb shared his Hart-Parr 50 HP Economy 2 IHC 3 engine. Garland and Bev Bar-ratt, of Irwin, made apple cider squeezed on a 1910 Americus apple cider press.
Doug and Vicky Travis, Lewis, drew big business with their Lazy T's Homemade Ice Cream. It was powered by a 1927 John Deere stationary engine making five gallons of ice cream every 25 minutes.
The Harlan Honeybees 4-H Club earned money for their club by painting faces. Their 'shop' was set up on the front porch of the house.
Mary Miller, Irwin, decorated the kitchen in the old house with a variety of vintage hats, shoes, kitchen utensils, and catalogs. She obtained several huge wooden spools which, turned on their sides, made picnic tables. Seats for these tables were made from antique iron tractor seats welded to pedestals fastened to disc blades. These were painted white and black. Mary filled barrels throughout the grounds with beautiful flowers and foliage.
Jean Ferry, Irwin, was in charge of crafts, flea market, and demonstrations. She was pleased with the number and variety of participants. Mary Miller was head of the kitchen. She appreciated all those who volunteered and provided pies and bars.
Preceding the show on Friday morning the IKM fifth graders toured the grounds with their teachers, Nancy Kloewer and Julie Stevens, as part of their Iowa History unit.