117 Ruch Street Coplay, PA 18037
John Goodison, who had been general agent for the bankrupt Sarni Agricultural Implement Assn. Co., together with G. H. Samis, purchased the interest and factory of the insolvent company. They operated for a year, but under adverse circumstances, and were glad to enter into negotiations with the Sawyer & Massey Co. of Hamilton, Ontario, for the sale of their interests. Operations were continued as usual and John Goodison was retained as manager by the Hamilton firm.
John Goodison 20 HP steam traction engine built in 1922 by the John Goodison Thresher Company, and owned by Donald Shell of Ontario.
John Goodison was not satisfied with the new arrangement, and late in 1889 acquired sole ownership of the concern. The days of Sawyer & Massey control convinced him of the future of the threshing machine industry, and he wisely abandoned the manufacture of reapers and plows and concentrated on threshing machinery. For a while he called his factory the Tunnel City Thresher Works, but soon changed it to the John Goodison Thresher Co. Meanwhile, the fame of the Mc Closky thresher was spreading, and in 1892 Mr. Goodison acquired the right to build these machines. He persuaded John Mc Closky to move to Sarnia and work in his factory. The years that followed saw the firm prospering and soon the Goodison 'New Mc Closky' threshers were favorably known throughout both eastern and western Canada.
A 20 HP John Goodison steam traction engine built in 1920. This engine is owned by Vince Riddell of Ontario, Canada, and is here chugging around at the Ontario Steam & Antique Preservers show at Milton, Ontario, Canada.
John Mc Closky was born in Ireland in 1847. At the age of seventeen he came to Canada along with his parents, three sisters and five brothers. The family located in the bush near the tiny settlement of Old castle, about 11 miles from the present city of Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
John Mc Closky died of pneumonia in 1902 at the age of 55, leaving behind in his workshop several uncompleted models of inventions he had been working on. John Goodison was called by the Lord in 1915. The firm, now known as Goodison Industries Limited, is still headed by the third generation of the Goodison family.
Author Norbeck and the Norbeck Research Library, which now contains over 550 binders of history and information from around the globe.
In 1902 they began to build a few portable engines and two years later entered the traction engine field. Only single cylinder, side mounted engines were built and the original design was never changed.
In 1920 Goodisons began selling Hart-Parr gas tractors and after the big merger of 1929 became Canadian distributor of Oliver tractors and equipment. Thus, another well known make of threshing machinery and steam traction engines passed into history.
The big merger was of the following companies, Nichols & Shepard Company, Hart-Parr Company, American Seeding Machine Company and the Oliver Chilled Plow Company merged to form the Oliver Farm Equipment Corporation. Then the White Motor Corporation acquired the Oliver Corporation in 1960. Today the White Farm Equipment Company from South Bend, IN, is a division of Allied Products Corporation.
22 HP 1927 John Goodison, owned by Mr. Leroy Walker of Glen Rock, PA; photographed at the 1987 Rough &Tumble Reunion, Kinzers, PA.