620 Lake Road, Conneaut, Ohio
ENCLOSED FIND Picture of a Bershire type locomotive (steam) No. 700. This is the first of a fleet of 80 of these fine locomotives that we are still using on the Nickel Plate. We have the last steam engine built for the American RR No. 779. This locomotive was built in 1949 by Lima Locomotive Co., at Lima, Ohio.
This is the run down on Eng. 700. She was built in August 1934 by American Locomotive Works at Schenectady, New York and entered in freight service same month. She ran from Frankfort, Indiana, to Bellevue, Ohio, until 1955, then transferred to the W&LE District at Brewster, Ohio until September 1956. She was then marked for scrap and sent to Conneaut, Ohio, to be stripped of her usable gadgets. Then out of a clear sky she was put in the shop on December 24, 1956, and out shopped on January 30, 1957. She broke in February 2, 1957; reworked and entered train service on February 3, 1957. She was used in train service until October 1, 1957.
Her last run was from Buffalo, New York to Conneaut, Ohio, with train No. 47. She had 22 loads and 67 empties or 3013 tons on this trip. The Engineer was McNerney and the Fireman was Anderson. Her total mileage from February 2, to October 1, 1957, was over 50,000 miles. She would have made many more miles if her flues and side sheets had not been outlawed, but that is the way of a good old locomotive.