Birth of a heritage museum in the nation's heartland
Harold Warp's sister, Mrs. T.C. Jensen, who with her husband manages the Pioneer Village, holds a saddle bag of Pony Express days. In the bags were found two undelivered letters dated 1861.
The Pioneer Village, perched on two city blocks, facing U. S. Highway G, at Minden, Neb., 132 miles west of Lincoln, houses many thousands of bygone items in 12 buildings.
Skipper Warp, son of Mr. and Mrs. Harold Warp, cutting the ribbon on opening day, June 6, 1953, marking the opening of the Pioneer Village, Minden, Neb.
The steam threshing outfit runs every Sunday in the summertime for the kiddies as well as for the old-timers who visit the Pioneer Village. It is amusing to see the expression on the faces of both young and old when asked if they'd like to blow the whistle.
In the Transportation lineup, from ox-cart to airplane, is the old stage coach and early day wood burner locomotive of 1850, with Harold Warp, founder of Pioneer Village in the foreground.
The old general store, with shelves piled high with merchandise of yesteryear, carried many of the forerunners of merchandise found in the hardware stores of today.
This 1830 vintage kitchen is but one of five period kitchens found at Pioneer Village. The fireplace is built of stone from the old White House in Washington, D.C. Standing in the kitchen is T. C. Jensen, who with Mrs. T. C. Jensen, are managers of the Villa.
This natty-looking 1902 curved-dash Olds was the height of fashion at the beginning of the Automobile Era. At the wheelies Harold Warp (right side). Oscar Olson, the passenger, is chief restorer of these ancient items.