ROUGH & Tumble 1978

Clarence Wiley and his Peerless stretching

Clarence Wiley and his Peerless stretching the belt on the Baker fan.

Content Tools

233 County House Road, Clarksboro, New Jersey 08020

The 30th performance of R & T is over and the curtain is down. For the coal pile, it is also down, but the water WELL, well it will have replenished itself by now. Water is supposed to be inexhaustable, and if this is true, could it be that some of this water used by Hermes in the world's first steam turbine, has found its way into a boiler at Kinzers? I would like to think so.

If Hermes could have come back to this world and seen us using this mighty power of steam, I am certain he would have been delighted. He searched and found a power to aid man but how to put it to use was his problem. For him to see steam in harness performing many kinds of chores would have had sufficient an influence to lure him into throwing his robes through the fire hole door, donning overall's and an engineer's hat, and making himself completely at home.

I also wonder how this ancient Greek would have re-acted to the sound of Clarence Wiley's Peerless stretching the belt on the Baker fan. Perhaps those overall's he just donned would have been awkwardly in the way for a few moments until his ears became a tuned to the sound of the stack exhaust. From then and onwards, he would have enjoyed the show as did the members and patrons alike.

This year I spent more time with my pal George Gaunt on the Buffalo Springfield roller. George did the driving and I did the firing for having to constantly jump off that high seat and tend the fire on one's own, is rather tiring. On Friday evening the gas tractors had pulled left several deep ruts in the course. Saturday morning we considered it a good idea to go out and put the roller to work. Me, armed with a shovel threw dirt in the holes, directed George in rolling over them and kept the fire going at the same time. Quite a few folks gathered on the bleacher seats and watched us. One man came over and ask me if I worked for the County. I said, 'Sure, R & T County Highways.'

Many folks were also fascinated by the little Duplex water pump we had hung on the side of the roller boiler with a piece of baling wire. Though only built for a large 1?-inch scale locomotive, it certainly kept the water up and the injectors were only used but a few times.

On Thursday morning after I had set up my exhibits in the model building, I left to go down to the roller and help George. Upon my exit by the side door a sound caught my ears that I could not believe. I could hear a carousel organ somewhere, and before I knew it. I had jumped over the Shay railroad tracks, galloped around the 'Women's and Men's,' and then to my surprise I saw not one, but two of them.

The first band organ I saw was a Tonnawanda trumpet organ of about 46 keys, but for the two young people that owned it, I unfortunately did not get their names. The 1920? White truck upon which it sat was an equal exhibit and show much interest, but for me, this organ could have sat upon a farm cart. Its music was so beautiful. I have a great liking for these old mechanical marvels, and moving over to the second machine, I was just as thrilled for this was a very sweet sounding Wurlitzer. Both organs were what are referred to as paper organs where the holes in the paper roll control the vacuum under the air valves.

For the many times my wife has been to Kinzer, the highlight of the show for her are those beautiful Belgian horses of Elmer Lapps. To prepare these animals and the equipment that goes with them must be hard work for after the show is over they cannot be merely backed into a shed and forgotten until the next meet like an old tractor. They must be given care all year long and care for them Elmer does for those horses not only know him, but appear to love him. The collie dog was there too, and where ever those horses go so does the collie. I would like Elmer to know that his entree' to the show is well appreciated for the patrons comments are many.

Another entrant much spoken of is Mr. Hadley's team of oxen. I must here tell Mr. Hadley that I heard some children asking their father what they were. The father told them that they were 'HORSE COWS.'

Our saw mill this year was a new installation not a new mill but a freshly restored one. The chaps that did the building did a great job for on the Saturday before the show it wasn't even half finished. I was there that day preparing our roller, and a gang aided and abetted by Ray Herr, were hard at work. I gave them all some doughnuts to boost their energy and by show time the mill was ready for logs.

During the show Ray's recently acquired portable supplied the power and was kept on the mill all the time. This is good, for a sawyer then gets used to one engine and finds his job a little easier. Putting on different engines is O.K. but much time is wasted in changing them. Also, no two engines pull the same.

Titus Brubaker Sr. is a great old young man and now he has become a movie star I wonder who he will co-star with next? For those readers who are wondering what I'm saying well, Titus appeared on the David Brinkley's News Report and was pictured where he loves to be--on the footplate of his Peerless engine. Later I also got his picture winding up the shingle mill with Johnny Mast clamping in the cedar wood.

There are two men whom I have never mentioned in any of my reports, and I'm certainly going to this time. They are John Wilcox and Roger Kreibel, who own most of the very large stationary gas engines situated at the end of the large engine shed. All through the show and until late at night, these old engines are barking away with large gatherings of people. A fresh, unusual, but well restored piece of motive iron exhibited by John was what everyone was calling 'The Lamp-post Engine.' Why I didn't write down its maker and year I don't know, for it was so unusual. It had no crank and worked by a rack and pinion, so, all you gas engine enthusiasts, come out and see this next year.

I saw quite a few old cars and one was a small steamer which I know was not a Stanley. The engine looked like a Locomobile, being placed upright underneath with a chain coming off a sprocket between the cranks. All the accessories including the wheels were chromeplated which made the car pleasing to look at.

Clarence Wiley and his Peerless stretching the belt on the Baker fan.

The very soft and sweet toned Wurlitzer band organ.

Flea market alley was well displayed this year and much fun was to be had browsing around amongst the stands. One man on the bottom end one was a very cheerful guy, and George and I bought a couple of safety valves each at a very reasonable price. One thing I would like to say tho', some of the prices ask for dented, corroded and probably inoperative whistles seems rather high. You know, there are still outlets for brand new whistles, injectors and so on at prices very little higher.

I would like to give my thanks this year to the grounds committee for things were arranged quite nicely. Seats were placed where folks wanted them, right under the trees in the shade, and concession stands were kept away from the main gate. Their new location was along the lower roadway which situated them much more central. This put an ice-cream or a cold drink at the end of a far shorter walk.

To conclude, I would like to thank Amos Stauffer and his team of Lieutenants for what I'm sure was a good show. We had plenty of engine activity with no incidents and Mr. Eshleman kept plenty of steam on the amplifier so every-one knew what was going on. Now, with my exhibitor's plate securely nailed to the edge of my model shelf, I await, next year.