# Picture 01

Content Tools

This month's back cover shows scenes from Tom and Lois Terning's 1981 show. The account of that show follows, and is of particular interest, since the show will be held for the fifth time this fall, but became 'public' only in 1981. We'd like to encourage the Terning family and others like them, whose small family shows grow each year and draw greater numbers into the collecting hobbies. Tom, Lois and Aaron Terning Hue at 7701 N. Hoover Road, Valley Center, KS 67147.

The following is an account of the 4th annual Terning Steam and Gas Engine Show held October 10, 11, 1981 at Valley Center, Kansas. This was the first year this was a public show. In the years previous, it had been a one day private endeavor. The fog, cool weather, and finally the rain on the last day was disheartening. However, a good time was had by all and the show dates have been set for September3,4,5,6,1982. See ad in this issue for further details.

'Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light,' were the words being sung by Mrs. Virgil Litke of Marion, Kansas, as the flag was being raised for the beginning of the show. The only problem was that one could barely see the flag because of the intense fog.

As the sun was fighting its way thru the fog, one could begin to make out several familiar figures and shapes milling about.

A 20 HP Aultman Taylor was being coaxed with much tender loving care by Mr. 'Avery' Sullivan of Wichita. Success soon came and he and his lovely wife, Zelma, proceeded to the separator to thresh some wheat for the spectators. 'Butch' Olson and 'Stovepipe' Nelson, of Minnesota and South Dakota respectfully, provided much of the pitching power for the entire show.

Close behind was Gary Base and sons, Doug and Dan, pitching fuel into the majestic 32 HP Reeves owned by Mr. James Leake of Muskogee, Oklahoma. The reluctant mass soon gave in to Gary's expert manipulations and lumbered off slowly across the field.

John Gries of Wichita was concentrating on mastering the 16 HP Rumley owned by the Tom Ternings. He skillfully supplied the needed power for the sawmill. The master sawyer, 'Reynold Terning,' of Minnesota eyed each log to get the best possible use from it. John Vogt and his sons Jim and Bill supplied the lumber and manpower to operate the sawmill. The sawmill had originally been built many years ago by Paul Kusnefsky of Florence, Kansas. Much deterioration had taken place and it was thru the effort and dedication of many people that it is now in running condition. Adjacent to the larger sawmill was

Bill Alter and son Albert with their scale Case 65 model on a sawmill sawing cedar. Many spectators were eager to obtain a piece of the cedar.

Meanwhile, back at the separator, another figure was making its way to the belt. Don and Margaret Blecha of Wichita on their beautifully restored 20-70 Nichols and Shepard, were eager to make it perform. Right behind them was Dan White of Newton on his 20 HP Rumley. Also wanting to give the younger men a run for their money was Vaden Stroud of Hutchinson operating a 22-75 Nichols and Shepard owned by Mr. Leake.

A huge Baker fan stood ready to take on anyone willing to belt-up. The invitation seemed to be just the challenge Richard Wall of Hillsboro, on his recently restored 13 HP Reeves, wanted.

Waiting behind Richard was Dave Sebitz of Hesston with his emmaculate 30 HP Case. David Mouser, operating a 8 x 10 Frick owned by Tom Terning, was also waiting in line for his turn. The New Huber, owned by Mr. Leake and operated by Ron Bates, was circling the grounds not sure of which challenge to pursue.

The fast and slow races seemed to be a big attention getter. Many people had never seen either race and were fascinated by the gracefulness of these giants in slow motion.

At the rear of the grounds a 50 HP Case was making its way to what appeared to be a hill that was a bit steep to even walk up. What did Art Kostead and Tom Terning have in mind was the question many people were asking. The crowd did not have long to wait as the pair skillfully guided the huge engine up and down the hill with several stops in the middle of the hill.

Many models were present. They were showing their skills at the hill climb, pyramid stunts, and fast and slow races. Among the faces that were seen thru the smoke were Larry Hedrick of Arkansas City on his Advance. Bill Billings was close behind on his scale Advance Rumley. Brother Jack Billings seemed to prefer his Peerless. Bob Uhruh and sons, Timmy and David, of Hillsboro were giving their Russell a real workout. Ed and Dian Routh on their scale Case 65 were darting about. Jim Hijek of Medford, Oklahoma, was busy working out his scale Case 65 by hauling spectators back and forth from the parking lot on a wagon. Jack Johnson, who was a special inspiration to all at the show, was operating his Advance from a wheelchair while recovering from a stroke. Paul Anderson of Smolon had a huge grin on his face as he skillfully manuvered his scale Case 65 about.


Tom and Lois Terning had their Fourth Annual Steam and Gas Engine Show on their farm last October. which went 'public' last year in Kansas.

On a table were several smaller models displayed by Moses Voth, Harold Zeiner and Lawrence Miller. Many years of labor and love had gone into these models and the pride showed all over their faces.

A partially completed scale Case 65, owned by Mahlon Giffin, sat a bit apart from the mainstream of the show. Mahlon's grin just seemed to say, 'just wait until next year and it will be the best looking model at the show.'

Never missing an opportunity to liven things up a bit was John Youkman of Newton firing up his Oil Pull. Harold Ottaway on his Little Red Devil and brother, Herb, on his steam car also aroused much interest. Charles Richardson and Ernest Nutsch displayed their antique tractors. An Appleton corn shredder owned by the Ternings was being put to the test once in a while. The antique binder that had bound all of the wheat being used at the show sat quietly thru the show, its work being done months before.

Many people were displaying their gas engines. 'Doc' Hotvedt kept everyone in line in this department. There were too many to mention. However, one special engine that was furnished by the Wheat Heritage Club was a 40 HP one cylinder, D-Luverne. Giving a ride to those desiring one, was Aaron Terning on his 10-20 International Harvester crawler. Aaron had spent much time over the past year scraping and painting to have it ready.

From high on his perch in the speaker's stand came the knowledgeable voice of Jim Thomas of Graf-ford, Texas. Jim delighted in keeping the general public informed of the events taking place all over the grounds. 'Make sure and visit the booths and see the craft items, stained glass, model steam engines and much more for sale.' 'Vivian Base will amaze you with her wheat weaving skills and Quentin Base has some beautiful hand crafted scale bundle wagons to see.' 'The 4-H children have cookies for sale and the wheelchair basketball team has piping hot popcorn.' 'Karen Olson will give craft demonstrations in the tent beginning at 1:00.' His voice wanted to make everyone be everywhere all at once.

The Valley Short Line Steam Train, owned and operated by Charlie George and crew ran constantly much to the delight of many youngsters and some not so young. This steam train was a Ottaway Amusement Locomotive.

The eight bottom plow owned by Virgil Litke was giving many an engine a run for their money.

The House of Iron was on hand to show many just 'how easy' it is to bend iron.

One figure which kept appearing at various places throughout the show was Howard Terning of Fortine, Montana. Tom's dad had been with him for several weeks prior to the show to help wherever needed. His main job now appeared to be keeping everything and everybody in line. Dan Hedrick and Joe Mitchum also seemed to be everywhere at once whenever needed to help solve problems.

When Saturday evening came the exhibitors were indeed ready for a break. A buffalo barbeque was served by the Ternings. Some sweet corn had been brought from Minnesota and with the cakes and desserts provided by the many ladies the exhibitors did indeed get their much-earned nourishment.

A spark show followed the evening meal.

On Sunday morning Bob and Brenda Jordan provided special music at the church service. Pastor Rumple gave the message.

The rain called an abrupt halt to the show at 3:30 Sunday afternoon. The show seemed to be over with before it began. All the work of the summer of binding wheat, building booths, hauling engines, restoring engines, etc. seemed to be a memory. For many days everything just sat in the mud as if to say, 'What next?' Thoughts about the next show were going thru our heads. It would be bigger and better and we are putting in our order for better weather. See you then!!