The 12th Annual Fly-In

Type B Erie steam shovel

Only known 1916 Type B Erie steam shovel in operation

Content Tools

The 12th Annual Fly-In and Threshers Reunion was another success in July, 1982, with a crowd of approximately 20,000 in attendance for the three day event. There were some 90 antique tractors and more that 400 gas engines. There also were a dozen steamers around for supplying the power for the demonstration of threshing, sawmilling, shingle sawing and plowing.

The Fly-In and Threshers Reunion has grown to be the greatest steam, gas and antique farm machinery showing the Southeast. The three-day event was sponsored by the South Davidson Fire Department on show ground covering approximately 90 acres.

There are more than a dozen buildings on the show grounds that range from reconstructed log buildings to a modern 100' x 150' all metal exhibition building that contain displays of steam engines ranging in size from a 2 HP to a 125 HP Corliss.

The arbor type building with a seating capacity of 1500 was filled all three nights for the Country and Gospel music show. Other buildings of interest include an old country store and an old church that has been moved to the show grounds from the Jackson Hill Community. There are storage sheds and two modern restrooms and bath house combinations for the convenience of the folks who come and attend the show. The last building to be mentioned is for sure not the least. It is 216 feet long and houses the Gandy Dandy Railroad Engine and cars, when it is not out on its one and one-half mile track that circles the show grounds and parking lot. The completion of the railroad track last year added a big attraction to the show!

There is plenty of shade for looking and for relaxing; there was an abundance of good food from hot-dogs to a full course Wheat Threshers Dinner of chicken pie, pinto beans, slaw and corn bread.

We would like to say 'Thanks' to the many folks who come and exhibit and help to put the demonstrations on, and to the people who make their way out to see a fine show of Farm history in the past. (The 1983 show was held July 1,2,3, and 4.)