The 16 HP M. Rumely

Rear mount steamer

Content Tools

P.O. Box 158, Kleefeld, Manitoba, Canada ROA OVO

I always wanted a nice double cylinder rear mount steamer that was not too large to handle around the yard. I saw an ad in January/February 1990 issue of Iron Men Album, page 26, where Reynolds Museum of Wetaskiwin, Alberta, Canada had a 1916 Rumely for sale. I went to see this engine, bought it, and had it shipped to my home in the Province of Manitoba. This steamer was last used on a sawmill in northwestern Saskatchewan.

It is a 16 HP M. Rumely, simple double with rear mount axle. The original stamping on rear of boiler which was still visible showed that Rumely had tested it to 275 lbs. on April 18, 1916, and that 55,000 lb. steel by Illinois was used in the boiler. The Rumely specs, in their advertising literature, state that it is a Canadian type high pressure boiler with double riveted butt strap. The flue sheets are thick. They also used a full wing sheet construction to mount the engine and axles onto. There are no large bolts threaded into steam or water space to mount the engine or axles. This boiler was run at 175 lbs. pressure when new.

After I got the engine home, I took it apart piece by piece right down to the bare boiler. I found that some rusting had occurred on the wagon top just underneath the engine crankshaft casting where dirt had collected over the years. So I and my boiler inspector decided to have that fixed. A licensed pressure welder came to have these small spots pad-welded to original thickness. The rest of the boiler was in good shape, both in and out, and passed inspection. I also replaced all the boiler plumbing with new valves, pipes and fittings. The injector, pop valve, fusible plug and pressure gauge were all replaced with new ones. This steamer had some parts missing, such as the water tank, drawbar and platform. These had to be made up from new material, as close as possible to the original size and design. The engine oil feed pump and boiler water feed pump were also missing.

I made a lot of phone calls and attended several old farm auction sales to find these original parts. The 011 and water feed pumps and throttle were rebuilt before installation. New bull pinions were installed. The piston and valve rods were replaced with new chromed rods. I also rebabbitted the rear axle bearings. I hired a contractor to sandblast and paint most parts.

A heat resistant primer and automotive finish were used to paint the engine. The lettering and stripes on the spokes were painted by hand with an artist brush.

The shipping weight of the engine was listed as 17,100 lbs. The rear wheels are 64 inch x 32 inch with 10 inch ext. rims. Front wheels are 40 x 12 inch. Boiler diameter 32 inch.

I would like to thank all the people who sold me parts, gave me advice, and helped me to restore this engine back into good working order.