The Aultman & Taylor Company

Chapter 15: Litigation and Personnel in the Aultman & Taylor Company's Later Years


Content Tools

The 15th installment of Dr. Bixler's history of the Aultman & Taylor Company, as edited by Robert T. Rhode, appears in this issue of Steam Traction, which is serializing Dr. Bixler's book. Chapters 1-13 appeared in Iron-Men Album. Dr. Bixler, a professor at Muskingum College in New Concord, Ohio, passed away before he could publish the manuscript to which he had devoted considerable energy. Several manuscripts belonging to Dr. Bixler are in the Sherman Room of the Mansfield/Richland County Public Library in Mansfield, Ohio.

Chapter 15

The Aultman & Taylor Company was involved in a variety of lawsuits. They had to do with patent rights and infringements, damage suits, collecting of money due the company and contract violations.

On Feb. 15, 1870, Andrew W. Hummer brought suit against the company for certain damages. It was a civil action. The trial began on Feb. 28, but it did not in reality get underway until Sept. 14 when a jury was impaneled to hear the case. After due deliberation the jury returned its verdict in favor of the plaintiff and awarded damages in the amount of $360.1

At the conclusion of the trial the attorneys for both parties gave notice of their intention to demand a second trial. The plaintiff asked for $600, and the defendant set the figure at $200. The court records do not show the final disposition of the case.

In February of 1899 a furor arose over a lawsuit brought against the Aultman & Taylor Company. An Ohio statute provided that the county commissioners could employ a tax inquisitor whose responsibility was to search out those individuals or corporations in the county that had not paid their taxes. He was to be paid 20 percent of the amount of money collected. The New Testament shows that tax collectors were despised by most of the people. Ohio's were equally unpopular. Suit was brought against the company in the amount of $228,000 for delinquent taxes.

George Brinkerhoff was the attorney for the company and also the administrator of the Harter estate. At a meeting of the employees of the company he stated that W.F. Charters was employed by the county commissioners to hunt down prospects that may have concealed assets subject to taxation. It was charged that Charters had no interest in Richland County and was concerned only about the amount of money that he could collect for himself.

James E. Brown, president of the company, stated that, if that amount of money were collected, the firm would be compelled to move to Pittsburgh, Pa., where conditions would be more favorable. This threat aroused the employees of the company, and they held a meeting at Company M's armory to take action in regard to the giant tax suit.

George Knofflock, who was in charge of the shipping department, was informally selected as chairman for the evening. The men chose Isaiah Little to be secretary of the meeting. Morgan Roop, the man who drove the first stakes for the Aultman & Taylor Company and whose sons had been employed by the company, along with several of the older employees, sat on the platform.

Brinkerhoff demonstrated the cussedness of the tax inquisitor. It was brought to the attention of the group that this suit was one way to create suspicion and impair credit. When a large concern like the Aultman & Taylor Machinery Company began manufacturing in the spring of the year, it was necessary to borrow large sums of money. Local banks were unable to furnish all of the necessary money, so some of it had to be borrowed elsewhere. The attorney expressed the opinion that it was unnecessary to reveal such information to the public. It was stated that the company was in a sound financial condition and that it could weather all of the storms.

If the suit had been successful the inquisitor would have received $45,000 for his services. Those who were present that evening were warned that, in the event the suit was successful, the company would close its shops and locate in an eastern city where conditions would be more favorable. New York at that time did not levy a tax against manufacturers. The company took the position that it could better afford to abandon the buildings and move to an eastern city rather than submit to what it regarded as unjust taxation. One of the employees asked, 'Do we want to put a fence around Mansfield against manufactories and drive out those we have?'

One of the newspaper artists drew a picture of a fat man and labeled him 'The Grafter.' The artist suggested that, while the rooster almost starved on the Aultman & Taylor strawstack, the tax grafters were plucking the company.

Knofflock made a brief talk in which he informed the men that he had gone to work for the company on Dec. 1, 1868, that he had always been treated well by the company, and that he never asked for a favor but that it was granted. He then asked, 'How is it with you? Now then, the Aultman & Taylor Machinery Company has a payroll of $20,000 per month. You can't afford to have the company move to Pittsburgh and lose this. Can the merchants of Mansfield afford it? No sir! Last summer for four months the payroll was $26,000 per month.'

One of the county commissioners, George Gribbling, did not vote to employ the tax collector. He attended the meeting of the employees and showed them something of the ignorance and inability that prevailed at the courthouse.

At the meeting's close a committee consisting of William Brent, John Cahall, James Livingston, Edward Smith, Isaiah Little, Louis Theis, Joseph Galland, John W. Glashon and Morgan Roop was appointed to draft resolutions and present them to the county commissioners.

At a meeting held in the large paint shop during the noon hour the resolutions prepared by the committee were read and given a preliminary adoption:

'The employees of the Aultman & Taylor Machinery Company, in mass assembled, unanimously passed the following declaration and resolutions with reference to the recent suits begun by the treasurer of Richland County against the Aultman & Taylor Machinery Company and against the estate of Michael D. Harter, deceased.

'We look upon said suits with horror as being an effort to extort money from said estate and from said company without regard for the interests of the employees and taxpayers resident in said county. Prior to the death of Michael D. Harter it was our privilege to work under him for many years some of us ever since we were old enough to work, and as such employer he not only dealt honestly and fairly with us but was a personal friend of each and every man under his employ and in his conversations never knowingly defrauded the county or Richland. The Aultman & Taylor people as a corporation have always dealt with their employees not only fairly but generously, and their dealings have always been honest, and we feel that the tax returns that they have made to the county have been as near correct as it was possible to make them; that the interests of the Aultman & Taylor Machinery Company and the estate of Michael D. Harter, deceased, are so interwoven that anything that injuriously affects one must to a great extent injure the other, but if the Aultman & Taylor people are required to pay taxes on such evaluation as indicated by the suit pending that they must necessarily be driven from Richland County and the state of Ohio; that if this should happen it would not only injuriously affect the employees of said company but would be injurious to every resident in our city and county. We denounce in the strongest possible terms the action taken and demand not only as employees of said company but as taxpayers and residents of Mansfield that the county treasurer at once dismiss both of said actions; that the county auditor with such of the county commissioners as may be necessary, take from the tax duplicate the addition place thereon as against said company and against said estate.

'We request that the citizens of Mansfield, irrespective of their business, through the Fifty Thousand League, or such other means as may be thought best, hold a meeting as soon as possible to take such action as they in their judgment may deem best. This action should be taken not solely from the pecuniary stand point but because of what we owe to the company whose interests have been attacked and their officers.

'We request the News Publishing Company and the Shield Publishing Company publish this statement in their daily paper and also re-publish it in their semi-weekly edition.

'In behalf of said meeting signed by the following committee, one from each of the several departments: W.T. Brent, Chairman, W.M. Roop, James Livingston, Joseph B. Smith, J. Cahall, E.J. Little, Joseph Galland, Louis Theis and J.R. Glashan sic.'

On the afternoon of Feb. 4, 1899, at two o'clock, the entire force of the employees assembled at the plant and after hearing the report of the committee adopted it. The workmen then formed a line and marched up to the courthouse. They marched around the south side of Central Park and entered the courthouse. They assembled in the common pleas courtroom. The meeting was called to order by Knofflock. Morgan Roop and William Brent were appointed to wait on the county commissioners and request their attendance at the meeting. A motion was made to summon the county treasurer, Brumfield, and county auditor, Fritz, to the meeting. As soon as the commissioners and the other officials were present, Knofflock read the resolutions.

Speaking for the commissioners, Gribbling agreed that they would get rid of the tax inquisitor and annul the suit of the treasurer. Brumfield also agreed to do everything he could to ease the difficulties. Fritz was called upon, and he declined to take the extra tax off the duplicate. He read a passage from the law to justify his action.

After lengthy hearings, including the Ohio Attorney General, the case was settled by requiring the Aultman & Taylor Machinery Company to pay the sum of $35,000 as back taxes. Judge Shields of the common pleas court held that the tax inquisitor, Charters, was not entitled to 20 percent of the amount collected or any other sum of money. The judge also found that the auditor was entitled to 4 percent of the amount collected.2

As a result of this settlement tempers cooled, and the Aultman & Taylor Company continued to build machinery in the city of Mansfield. A group of concerned people had demonstrated that an injustice could be corrected by an aroused citizenry.

On May 11, 1889, a civil action was brought by Brinkerhoff for Michael Kissel and David Bushey, executors of the last will and testament of Jacob Kissel. The case was adjudicated and settled by the court, which required the company to pay the full judgment and costs amounting to $219.3

In 1903 the records of one of the meetings of the board of directors show that the expenses incurred by a suit brought against the firm by the Thayer Company was charged to their sinking fund. The Thayer Company was an agent for Aultman & Taylor's water-tube boilers. The suit was brought to satisfy an unfulfilled obligation.

On Dec. 2, 1909, the following resolution was adopted by the board of directors:

'Resolved that the proposition of W.H. Cahall to pay him $6,250 in full settlement of his pretended claim of royalties or damage under patent upon a man hole device used in horizontal boilers be, and the same is hereby, rejected, and be it further resolved that, inas much as he has written to Mr. Isaac Harter and others on the subject, Mr. Harter be instructed to write so to him, and to further state in substance that, while the company denied all liability of every kind or anyone else upon his pretended claim, in order to avoid litigation, it would take up the matter of compromising said claim for such nominal sum as might cost it to defend against and defeat said claim.'4

Apparently this claim was settled outside of court.

Company Personnel in Later Years

Biographical sketches of individuals important in the life of the company were presented in earlier chapters. Yet, there were others who in later years became prominently affiliated with the firm.

James Ephraim Brown

James Ephraim Brown was born in Bloomfield, Trumble County, Ohio, on March 21, 1846. His British ancestors immigrated to this country during the early period of our nation and settled at Westmoreland, N.H. His relatives became a part of the New England group that settled in what became known as the Western Reserve in Ohio.

Brown received his early education in a private school at Bloomfield. He attended high school in Massillon, Ohio, from which he graduated in 1864. One might add that this was the first high school chartered by the state of Ohio, and it was shortly thereafter that Brown attended that school. He completed a business course at Poughkeepsie (New York) College. From there he went to New York City, where he engaged in the wool business for a period of three years. Then he spent the next three years in Boston engaged in the same business. He returned to Massillon, where he conducted a hardware business until 1878.


At that time Michael D. Harter importuned him to come to Mansfield to affiliate himself with the Aultman & Taylor Company. Accepting the invitation Brown entered the employ of the firm in October of 1878 as assistant to Harter, who was then the manager of the company. In 1881 he was elected secretary and held that position until 1891. As already noted, in October of that year the company was sold to the Aultman & Taylor Machinery Company, and Brown was elected President. He held that position until 1922, when he relinquished it and was elected President of the Board of Directors. The latter position he held until the company was liquidated. Altogether he served the company in official capacities for 45 years, a longer period of time than any other person connected with the firm with the exception of Elizabeth Aultman Harter, who, it will be recalled, was affiliated with the company from the founding to its liquidation.

He was united in marriage on April 24, 1872, to Isabella Hurxthal, a daughter of a Massillon banker. One son, James, was born to that union. Mrs. Brown died on July 7, 1891. In 1901 he was married to Katherine Holloway of Mansfield. To that union were born two children, Ephraim H. and Mary Katherine.

Brown was affiliated with the different Masonic bodies in Mansfield and held office in those organizations. He was an active member of Grace Episcopal Church in Mansfield.

Although he never held public office, yet he was active in Mansfield political affairs as a Republican. On Jan. 1, 1897, he was elected president of the Mansfield Savings and Trust Company and on Jan. 22, 1922, became Chairman of the Board of that financial institution, which position he held until his death. Burial was in the Mansfield Cemetery.

The presidency of the company placed Brown at the center of a vast manufacturing concern. It was his practice at each of the annual meetings of the stock holders in January to present a report. Those reports contained a resume of the production of machinery during the preceding year, the financial status of the company, and problems concerned with its management. They constitute one of the most important sources of information concerning the company.

When vitally important matters were to be considered by the board of directors, he conferred with Mrs. Harter and secured her approval of the proposed action. Occasionally Mrs. Harter was unable to attend meetings of the directors or stockholders; in those instances, Brown went to her home in Canton to seek her counsel. One experience is illustrative. On Feb. 20, 1906, Brown discussed the details of the proposed liquidation of the indebtedness due the Aultman & Taylor Company and secured Mrs. Harter's approval before the matter was presented to the directors and stockholders. This procedure is understandable in view of the fact that Mrs. Harter was the largest stock holder in the company, and with her years of experience he trusted her opinions

At the stockholders meeting in January of 1916, Brown made the following statement: 'As I am approaching my 70th birthday and the 38th year with the company, it is natural to feel that, within a few years at least, I shall have to cease connection with the company, and for the remaining period of my connection with the company I feel it necessary to relinquish a great deal of the work I have been doing and be free to absent myself at times from the business. I desire to give attention to the general matters of the business, financial, etc., leaving all details, which I heretofore looked after, more or less, to be attended to by some body else. I feel under the conditions my salary should remain as it is so long as I am filling this office. Mrs. Harter is in perfect agreement.'

Following the above announcement the offices of the company were placed largely in the hands of G. Paul Alexander, who became treasurer. His appointment was for a period of three years.5


Huntington Brown was born in Trumble County, Ohio, in 1849, a son of James Monroe and Mary (Hicks) Brown. His father was the original proprietor of Bloomfield Township, was the co-adjudicator of the early anti-slavery men of the Western Reserve, and also served in the House of the Ohio General Assembly in 1824.

In early childhood Huntington Brown accompanied his parents when they moved to Massillon, Ohio. His early education was acquired in the public schools of that city. Later he attended Nazareth Hall, a school located in Pennsylvania. In 1867 he went to Mansfield and became associated with M.D. Harter. In an earlier chapter it was shown that Brown was one of the men who traveled across the West seeking to introduce the new company and its products to prospective customers. At the age of 21 he toured Europe.

Upon his return from that trip he entered the employ of the Aultman & Taylor Manufacturing Company. He was recognized for his abilities and was rewarded by successive promotions. He became superintendent of the company in 1879, serving in that capacity for 10 years. After having been affiliated with the company for 21 years, he then moved on to other executive positions in Mansfield.

His activities included a variety of social, political, fraternal and commercial relations. He possessed great qualities of leadership and did much to mold public thought and action. He served as mayor of Mansfield for a number of years. He died on Feb. 8, 1914.6

James Reynolds

James Reynolds was born in New York City on July 14, 1846, a son of William and Ann (Bowden) Reynolds. In 1863 he accompanied his parents to Ohio, where they located in Crawford County, and in 1872 he went to Licking County.

He received a practical education through firsthand experience when at the age of 16 he became an errand boy in the office of a Wall Street broker. Beginning in 1863 he taught in a rural school for eight years. Following that experience he taught in village schools and then became superintendent of schools in Crestline, Ohio, and Warrensburg, Mo. While at Crestline, he became an inspector of high schools in Ohio. He went to Mansfield in 1877 and became the principal of the Tenth-Ward School. His career as a teacher closed in 1878 when he entered the employment of the Aultman & Taylor Company.

Reynolds was married to Charlotte A. Trimble, whose parents originally came from Harrison County, Ohio, and were pioneers in Crawford County. Four children were born to that union: Emma, Alexander Tully, Mary and William Fielding.

For many years he was one of Mansfield's most prominent and respected citizens. He was a hard working, progressive businessman.

An active member of the Reformed Presbyterian Church in Mansfield, he served as the superintendent of its Sunday school for many years. He was an opponent of the liquor business.

He was president of the board of trustees of the Emergency Hospital in Mansfield. He also served as a trustee of the Carnegie Library during its construction.

Reynolds served as treasurer of the Aultman & Taylor board of directors for 30 years. He was one of the persons who envisioned the need for innovations. He resigned as treasurer of the company on April 28, 1908, and retired that year. His death occurred on Aug. 13, 1909, at his farm located about two miles south of Lexington, Ohio. He was survived by his wife, two sons and a daughter. Burial was made in the Mansfield Cemetery.7

Arnold Kalmerten

Arnold Kalmerten was born in Burgstein, Germany, in 1850. He was educated in the German gymnasium located in the Westphalian city of his birth. Kalmerten pursued English, French, Latin, mathematics and commercial studies. Kalmerten's father was a miller. His father's mill was so situated that Kalmerten could watch the two turning stones and could fish in the stream that flowed beneath the mill.

Upon coming to America Kalmerten located at Fort Wayne, Ind. He was unable to secure employment there or in Chicago. He went to Iowa, where he was employed at farm work until the fall of 1866, when he returned to Chicago, where for a year he met with varying fortune.

In the fall of 1867 he found work as a clerk in a store in St. Louis. Following that experience he worked on a farm in Warren County, Mo., and also taught in a parochial school. He maintained a brave, dogged per severance.

He went to Cincinnati, where in 1869 he entered the Normal School. He increased his knowledge of English and teaching. A few months later he went to Lawrenceburg, Ind., where he was a successful teacher in the public schools during 1869 and 1870.

Unfortunately his voice soon failed, and he was compelled to relinquish classroom work to become a day laborer. He lived on milk and raw eggs for three months, when his voice returned. He then received an appointment in the Mansfield schools, beginning his work in 1871, and taught there for more than two years.

Following his teaching experience in Mansfield he entered the wholesale dry-goods business of Wood and Witter, where he remained until 1875, at which time he went to Toledo, Ohio. Then, upon the recommendation of Wood, he was given employment with the Aultman & Taylor Company. He then served as secretary beginning in 1876. On June 4, 1913, he was appointed Examiner of School Funds in the state of Ohio.

His work was in the State Bureau of Public Accounting and Inspection, which was under the state auditor's department.

Kalmerten was married to Mary A. Krabill, a daughter of Charles Krabill, a contractor who as a young man had come to this country from Germany. To that union was born three children: Ernest, Julia and Bertha. The son held the position of mortgage clerk in the Aultman & Taylor Machinery Company.

Kalmerten and his family were members of the German Evangelical Church, where he was a chorister for 28 years. He was twice elected a member of the Mansfield Board of Education.

He was one of the incorporators of the Aultman & Taylor Machinery Company and served as secretary of the stockholders until Jan. 25, 1907, when he resigned from that position. Beginning on Jan. 18, 1912, he was no longer a member of the board of directors.

Let it be said that only in this land so richly blessed could a young man like Kalmerten from a foreign land have been afforded opportunity for advancement, even though it entailed hardships.8

George W. Seaman

George W. Seaman was born Feb. 22, 1869, at Beardstown, Ill. His early and high school education were acquired in the public schools. He was graduated from the University of Illinois in 1893 with the degree of Bachelor of Science. After receiving his baccalaureate degree he pursued a graduate program and was awarded the degree of Mechanical Engineer.

Following his graduate work he located in Port Huron, Mich., and remained there for eight years. He then went to Mansfield in 1904, where he was employed at the Aultman & Taylor Machinery Company until June 14, 1914. He was the company's draftsman, superintendent and chief engineer. It will be recalled that it was he who designed the big engine that was shipped to Faulkton, S.D., in 1909.

Seaman and his wife went to Cleveland on July 23, 1914, to attend a Bible conference for two weeks. They had planned to take a trip through the rest, but that trip was never made. Seaman was struck by an attack of appendicitis and died on Saturday, Aug. 1, 1914, at Glenville Hospital in Cleveland.

He was survived by his wife, two sons and one daughter, together with one brother and two sisters. Funeral services were held at his home in Mansfield, and burial was in the Mansfield Cemetery.9

John Cahall

John Cahall was born in Reading, Pa., on June 4, 1842. Leaving his native city at age 10 he lived and worked on a farm near Wilmington, Del., for seven years. He then returned to Reading, where he learned the trade of boiler making in the Reading railroad shops. Upon completion of his apprenticeship he went to Harrisburg, Pa., where for another seven years he had charge of Tippet's boiler shop. At the end of that time he went to Lewistown, where for four years he engaged in business for himself.

In May of 1877 he went to Mansfield and for two years was affiliated with the firm of Flanningham & Sullivan. In January of 1879 he entered the employ of the Aultman & Taylor Company, becoming the first foreman of the boiler shop, which position he held until his retirement. He and his son William were the inventors of horizontal and vertical water-tube boilers, to which reference has already been made. Those boilers were one of the most significant products manufactured by the Aultman & Taylor Machinery Company. Cahall was an expert machinist.

Cahall was married twice. In 1867 he was married to Sarah Ritner of Reading, Pa., who was a niece of Governor Ritner of that state. To that union were born three children: Mary A., John D. and William H. In June of 1882 he was married to Helen Eliza Holey well, a teacher in the Mansfield schools. To that union were born three children: Fred H., Raymond D. and Leslie.

His second wedding was followed by a mock serenade, which was in vogue in some communities many years ago. It was known as a 'belling.' Those who participated used a variety of noise-making instruments. After a period of noise the bridegroom made his appearance and, to satisfy the crowd, offered to treat them. Failure to meet the demands of the serenaders made him subject to the disfavor of his friends. Sometimes he gave the bellers money with which to purchase ice cream for the crowd. At other times, he would provide them with beer, which was known as 'settin' of 'em up.' Cahall's belling was managed by the employees of the boiler department. They appeared with a traction engine, to which was attached a wagon loaded with a section of a boiler, followed by another wagon that carried a horse-fiddle, a large triangle, dinner bells and other noisemakers. There were eight or nine whistles on the engine that opened the performance emitting discordant shrieks that could be heard for many miles around Mansfield. One group of men with sledges belabored the section of the boiler, while others added to the noise with other 'musical' instruments. Cahall had only one plan that would be acceptable to the crowd: 'settin' of 'em up.'

Cahall was active in the community. He was a prominent member of the Episcopal Church, in which he served as vestryman. He was a Mason and a Knight Templar. He served as a member of the county council for two terms. Later he was appointed by Mayor Huntington Brown as one of four members of the Sanitary and Garbage Commission

Cahall died on Feb. 11, 1919. Burial was in the Mansfield Cemetery.10

Marvin W. Lutz

Marvin W. Lutz was born in Stark County near Canton, Ohio, and was reared in that city. Prior to his going to Mansfield, he was connected with the Canton Post Office and later was associated with the Isaac Harter Bank

During 1906 Mrs. Harter invited him to become associated with the Aultman & Taylor Machinery Company. At that time the company was plagued with serious financial difficulties, and Lutz was brought in for the purpose of establishing sound financial practices. At the meeting of the board of directors on Jan. 25, 1907, he was elected secretary of the company. The statement was made that, during his years of service, it was impossible for any employee to purchase a box of matches without his sanction.

The records of the company show that he served on a number of committees and was influential in the life of the company. He had a host of friends among the old threshermen who were customers of the company.

There are those who aver that Lutz became a victim of certain professional jealousies that had developed among the officials. His affiliation with the company was terminated in 1919. At the time of the liquidation of the company he remarked, 'Aultman & Taylor has been rotten on the inside for some time due to the incompetence of its leadership, and now it is dead.'

He opened an insurance agency in Mansfield. He was the representative of a number of concerns, the chief of which was the Union Central Insurance Company of Cincinnati. In 1931 he retired but remained in daily contact with his office.

Lutz was a member of the Knights of Pythias, the United Commercial Travelers and Masonic bodies, including the Scottish Rite. He was also a member of St. Luke's Lutheran Church in Mansfield.

He died on June 7, 1932, at the age of 61. Lutz was survived by his wife, Magdaline King Lutz; a sister, Nillie E. Lutz of Canton; and three brothers, Rev. John Lutz of Amanda, Ohio, Cyrillus M. and Warren W. Lutz, both of Canton.11

George Paul Alexander

George Paul Alexander was born in Wheeling, W. Va., in 1874, a son of Mr. and Mrs. David E. Alexander, who were early residents of Canton, Ohio. His elementary and secondary education were acquired in the Canton public schools.

He enrolled in the College of Wooster in the fall of 1890. He left the college at the close of his sophomore year to go to work. The 1968 edition of the Alumni Directory of the college indicates that he was a member of the class of 1894.

He became associated with the Bonnot Manufacturing Company in Canton, which was an old firm in that city. After some years with that firm he became affiliated with the Aultman & Taylor Machinery Company.

The first mention of Alexander in the Record Book of the company was at the meeting of the directors held on Jan. 25, 1907.12 A motion was made by Henry W. Alexander that G. Paul Alexander be elected vice-president of the company with an annual salary of $4,000.

On April 28, 1908, Alexander submitted his resignation. Immediately following, his name was presented for treasurer. His salary was to be the same as when he served as vice-president.

When in January of 1916 President Brown announced his desire to relinquish many of his responsibilities, he said, 'The above change will put the management largely in the hands of Mr. G. Paul Alexander, Treasurer, and I have recommended that for a period of three years his salary be fixed at 18,000 per year and 2 percent on the net profits of this company in excess of $100,000 and 3 percent on profits in excess of $200,000.'

From 1916 to 1921 he assumed managerial responsibilities in addition to holding the office of treasurer of the company. His withdrawal from the Aultman & Taylor Machinery Company occurred when he was 47 years of age and 18 years prior to his death.

An item appearing in the Alumni Association records of the College of Wooster states, 'From Coconut Grove, Fla., G.P Alexander writes that he is a 'retired manufacturer.' To those of us who are still working 16 hours a day the ease of a retired manufacturer basking in the tropical vegetation is almost beyond comprehension.'13

In 1907 Alexander was married to Alice Lynch, a daughter of William A. Lynch, a highly respected attorney.

Following a long illness, Alexander's death occurred in Coconut Grove, Fla., on Wednesday, Oct. 25, 1939. He was survived by his wife and two daughters, Mrs. Price Day of Ft. Lauderdale and Mrs. William J. Matheson of Philadelphia. One brother, James C. Alexander of Fort Wayne, and two sisters, Mrs. Lester Deweese of Canton and Mrs. Francis A. Buxton of Coconut Grove, survived him. Interment was in Canton.14


1.  Records of the Richland County, Ohio, Clerk of Courts.

2.  The Mansfield News, Feb. 4, 1899.

3.  Records of the Clerk of Courts.

4.  Record Book, minutes of the meetings of the stockholders and directors of the Aultman & Taylor Machinery Company.

5.  Baughman, A.J. Centennial History of Richland County, Ohio. Vol. 1. Chicago: Lewis Publishing, 1902. 584. Mansfield News Journal, June 26, 1925.

6. Ibid. 618. Mansfield Shield, Feb. 9, 1914.

7.  Ibid. 244. Richland Shield and Banner, Aug. 19, 1909.

8. Ibid. 393-94. The Mansfield News, June 4, 1913.

9.  The Mansfield News, Aug. 3, 1914.

10.  The horse-fiddle was comprised of a huge wooden box, the top or one side of which was open. A plank or a similar piece of timber was placed on top of the open box. The plank was then propelled back and forth by men standing on each side of the box. To increase the volume of the noise, resin was placed on the underside of the plank and also on the edges of the two sides of the box. The noise produced by that contraption was deafening.

11.  Baughman. 383. Mansfield Herald, June 15, 1882. Mansfield News Journal, Feb. 12, 1919.

12. Record Book.

13.  Personal letter from Edward Arn, Director of Alumni Relations, the College of Wooster, Dec. 15, 1971.

14. The Canton Repository, Oct. 26, 1939. Records of Westlawn Cemetery Association, Canton, Ohio. Facts in this biographical sketch have been authenticated in personal communications from Quintin Alexander, Mrs. Price Day and Miss Elizabeth Fogle, all of who are relatives of Alexander.

Next issue in Chapter 16, the final installment in the Aultman & Taylor series: Aultman & Taylor Financial Status and Liquidation of the Company.