Content Tools

JOHN MENCHHOFER, 89, passed away July 15, 1977, in a nursing home in Indianapolis after a fall last spring in which he suffered a broken neck. John was born near Batesville, Indiana in 1888. As a young man he operated a Russell threshing outfit that he nicknamed the 'Jolly Roger.' John was a lifetime member of the Pioneer Engineers Club of Indiana and attended the Rushville show every year until his health failed him. He served faithfully as secretary from February, 1954 until April, 1962. He loved his job and corresponding with many people from all over the country. He was forced to retire when his eyesight failed him. John remained an avid steam lover even after he moved to Indianapolis many years ago. The club will miss him dearly.

Submitted by Jerry Moorman, Pioneers Engineers Club, R.R. 6, Greensburg, Indiana 47240.

WILBUR RAY, 68, of R. R. 2, Mon-mouth, Illinois, died of a heart attack July 29, 1977. He was a friendly, good natured, congenial man who ran Neil McClures Baker engine at Mt. Pleasant's Old Threshers Show, fired and ran Old Maria and helped oil and wipe the stationary engines in the Heritage Museum. He was a grain and livestock farmer, active in church work and a member of the Monmouth Flying Club. He will be greatly missed by his family, many friends and associated.

Submitted by Henry Oswald, 406 S. 3rd St., Monmouth, Illinois 61462.

TOM LOBB, 79, of Helston, Manitoba, died August 15, 1977, at his farm home after a brief illness of three months. For a short while he was a grain buyer in Alberta and Manitoba, then he took up farming for his life occupation. Just recently he rented his land. Tom was devoted to his home, family and community, having played hockey and baseball. He was a strong supporter of the Manitoba Agricultural Museum at Austin, Manitoba. He was a director, which he served for 23 years up to his death. He was Parade Marshall for years. I remember him at the 1976 show well. Ken Fordham from Ochre River drove his homemade garden tractor and Tom was on a small potato scuffler which meant the parade was over. He had a good sense of humor, always striving for new and different ideas. He was a long time subscriber to the Iron-Men Album. He has owned and threshed with steam outfits. Tom will be greatly missed at our show.

Submitted by Bob McMillan, Box 5, Miami, Manitoba, Canada ROG 1HO.

WILLIAM MEISTER passed away the first week in September in Indianapolis. Mr. Meister served as secretary of the Pioneer Engineers Club of Indiana for about 2 years succeeding the late John Menchhofer. Bill attended the Rushville show every year and for many years helped his late brother, George, with taking care of his Russell and Huber engines at the Rushville show. Bill worked very hard for the Pioneer Engineers Club in making the show at Rushville a big success each year. He had many friends all over the country and he will be missed by everyone at Rushville.

Submitted by Jerry Moorman, Pioneer Engineers Club, R.R. 6, Greensburg, Indiana 47240.

MRS. SUSAN E. HUBER, 75, died unexpectedly September 15, 1977, after an illness of two days. Mrs. Huber was the wife of Everett Huber and was a member of the Pioneer Engineers Club of Indiana. Mrs. Huber attended many shows in the United States and Canada with her husband. Each year they would bring their Baker engine to Rushville. Funeral Services were held in the St. Peters Catholic Church in St. Peters, Indiana, with burial in the church cemetery. Our sympathy goes to Everett and her two sons, Kenneth and Eldon.

Submitted by Jerry Moorman, Pioneer Engineers Club, R.R. 6, Greensburg, Indiana 47240.

WILLIAM H. COFFEY, 73, 2712 W. Northland Ave., Appleton, Wisconsin, died September 5, 1977. He collapsed while at the controls of his steam engine and was dead on arrival at a local hospital. He and a friend were taking the engine for an afternoon drive on Labor Day. Mr. Coffey was reaching down for the brake when he was stricken by an apparent heart attack.

He was the owner of a 50 Hp, 1916 J. I. Case engine. He had operated the vehicle in parades and other special events since he purchased it in 1958. He attended shows in Minnesota, Iowa, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Illinois, and Michigan, as well as Wisconsin.

Mr. Coffey had been most recently employed by the Galloway Milk Products Co., Neenah, Wis., retiring in 1970, and had previously operated cheese factories in Forestville and Kaukauna, Wis.

Submitted by daughter, Shirley Phillips, 390 Wellhouse Drive, Kimberly, Wisconsin 54136.