Thomas G. Lee

Story and photo by Arthur P. Brigham, husband of Helen Case Brigham.

Arthur P. Brigham

Content Tools

EVERETT BROWN, 83, passed away June 23, 1986 at Decatur Memorial Hospital, Decatur, Illinois. Everett was known as a distinguished gentleman who had nothing but a kind word for his friends and neighbors. Those who knew him best appreciated his positive outlook towards others and looked to him as an example to follow.

Everett was a proud owner of a 19 HP Keck Gonnerman and was active in many Illinois shows including Pontiac, Arcola, and Pinkneyville. He was a 60 year member of the Masonic Lodge and was also a Shriner.

Everett Brown will be dearly missed by his family, friends and show exhibitors and spectators who had come so accustomed to his gentlemanly presence.

Submitted by Fred Nolan, Arcola, Illinois.

ROGER D. DRUMMOND and his wife BARBARA were killed in a car accident September 6, 1986. Roger Drummond was 43 years old. He was a farmer and truck driver and had served in the Army National Guard. Over the past few years Roger had shown steam engines at steam shows in Ohio. The last engine that he had out to the shows was a 30 HP Avery undermounted that was shown at Urbana, Ohio. Due to hard times on the farm Roger started driving a truck last spring.

Submitted by Gene Drummond, 15509 Drummond Road, Orient, OH 43146.

We lost a good and wise man, Mr. JOHN P. W. FRIEDRICHS (known as Wally), 62, on July 3, 1986, suddenly. Though he had some health problems, they were not considered of a serious nature. Wally and his brother-in-law Roy Benoit had been fishing when he was stricken with a heart attack.

Wally was educated as an agricultural economist at which he earned his living, and was very interested and active in steam engines and boilers around Northern Minnesota and North Dakota steam threshers shows. He leaves a family of eight children and wife Donna.

Submitted by E. D. Dewhurst, 712 N. Front, Crookston, MN.

ROY IRVING CASE, SR., 98 years old and the last surviving grandchild of Jerome Increase Case, died August 17 in Racine, Wisconsin, after a brief illness.

In spite of his advanced age, Mr. Case lived alone in his own home, and up until this past summer, took unaided daily walks along Racine's Main Street.

One of four boys who were the children of J. I. Case's only son, Jackson, Roy Case was predeceased by his brothers Jerome I., Harry I. and Percival F.

Starting in 1910, Mr. Case worked for a decade at the now-defunct J. I Case Plow Works, which had been established as a separate enterprise from the original J. I. Case Threshing Machine company. One of his duties for the Plow Works involved going to the Racine Post Office each morning where he, along with a representative from the Threshing Machine Co. and an independent arbiter (to settle disputes) would sort the mail addressed to 'J. I. Case Company.'

Roy I. Case at his home in Racine early last August, with Thomas G. Lee, left, of Calhoun, Kentucky, and George W. Hedtke, of Davis Junction, Illinois. The painting above the sofa is of J. I. Case driving two of his fine horses and accompanied by his wife, Lydia Ann.

'I used to grab anything that made the slightest mention of the word 'plow' and put it in my pile of mail,' Mr. Case told visitors last August.

In 1978, the State of Wisconsin proclaimed June 9 as 'Roy Case Day' to honor his bow hunting accomplishments. He was said to be the first white man (non-Indian) to kill a deer in Wisconsin with a bow and arrow and hunted caribou on the tundra in his eighties.

Mr. Case is survived by two sons, Roy, Jr. of Mission Viejo, California, and Kaleb of Marinette, Wisconsin, 10 grandchildren and four great grandchildren.

Submitted by Arthur P. Brigham, husband of Helen Case Brigham.

HENRY L. OSWALD was born November 2, 1900 to Frank and Lois Ruse Oswald in Monmouth, Illinois. Reared and educated in Monmouth, he married Lora Black and had two daughters, Beverly Oswald and Barbara Oswald Biddle.

A kind and gentle man, Henry was devoted to his family, living his entire life in Monmouth, working for the Post Office as a mail carrier for many years. Weather, illness and many other adversities of life were no deterrent to Henry in his appointed rounds, for in his book, the mail must go through, and for Henry it did.

As a boy, he was a lover of the iron monsters that invaded that part of the country every summer to thresh the acres of yellow wheat that was raised, and as he grew older he longed more and more to become a part of it. However, conditions being what they were with the steam engines giving way to the gasoline tractor, then to the self-propelled combine, these dreams were never realized.

Then along came the Midwest Old Threshers Reunion at Mt. Pleasant, Iowa and as it grew bigger and bigger every year, so did Henry's desire to be a part of it. So one day the opportunity came in the form of an under-mounted Avery engine which was for sale. After discussing it with his friends and relatives, he purchased the Avery and became an active member of the Old Threshers Organization.

Each year the Old Threshers chooses an engine to be Engine of the Year and in 1983 Henry's engine was to have that honor. This was one of the highlights of Henry's life, and he took the greatest of pride in showing it to the many visitors and driving it in the parades.

Henry left us last April 25th at the age of eighty five, leaving a great void in our hearts. A man of simple tastes, he was good, kind and warm, and he wasn't afraid to show his love for his family and friends. He didn't live in a fine house or drive a fine car. A modest home, a beat up pick-up truck and a steam traction engine was enough for Henry. These and his family were his life.

Henry was a talker. Like Will Rogers, he never met a man he didn't like. To meet Henry was to be grabbed by the arm and taken around and introduced to all his friends and trying his best to make you feel at home. He had stories to tell and would listen to yours. His favorite expression was 'Glad to see you. Come over here, there's somebody I want you to meet'. Dressed in his bib overalls and battered engineer's cap, he was the utlimate in good will. We pray that throughout our days we shall seek to emulate and teach those values to those in whose midst we live.

I hope I am not being sacrilegious when I say that I like to think that Henry is up there somewhere, still in his overalls and cap, perhaps with a white robe over his shoulders and a halo over the cap, greeting newcomers at the Gate with 'I'm sure glad to see you. Come over here with me. There's Someone over here I want you to meet'.

THEODORE YODER passed away on October 5, 1986, at his home at the age of 81. Ted was a very active member of the Tri-State Gas Engine and Tractor Association Inc. in Portland, Indiana. He joined the club in 1967 as a member and moved up the ranks to hold the office of Vice-President. In 1981 he did not run for office and was named Honorary Vice-President at that time.

His jobs at the shows were making apple butter and he was also the head sawyer. Ted loved the saw mill and made many additions to our mill including a top saw. He was an active member with Tri-State up until his death.

Ted lived in Linn Grove, Indiana and died of an apparent heart attack. He was the brother of Ruth Liby of Muncie. A native and lifelong resident of Adams County, he was a retired well driller and sawmill employee. His wife, Edith Campbell Yoder, died in 1970. Burial was in the MRE cemetery, Berne. Ted was truly an asset to our club and will surely be missed by all who knew him.

Submitted by Dave Reum, President, Tri-State Gas Engine and Tractor Association, Inc., Portland, Indiana.