The outfit is mounted on a 1935 Chevrolet chassis and is used to saw wood. The boiler in front holds 30 gallons of water and an extra 15 gallons is carried in the left rear container. The right hand container holds 100 pounds of coal. The steam valve pops off at 120 degrees.2
The trailer carries extra coal, two circular saws, belts and other equipment. The engine runs under its own power at five or more miles an hour.
Mr. Hesse ran a steam engine when he was fourteen years old, to grind feed for his father, and also ran one for Elmer Crawford at Clarksville for several years. He intends to paint the equipment red, green and silver, before displaying it in neighboring towns on Saturday evenings, when a collection will be taken for crippled children, his favorite charity.
Mr. Hesse expects to exhibit it at the display of steam engines at Cedar Palls next fall. The engine was originally in the creamery at Powers Ville; after the creamery was dismantled, the engine was purchased by Guy Kline top of Clarksville, who sold it to the Milo G. Mather Machine Shop there. Later it was owned by Chris Hoodjer and it was used to dry cement blocks and Mr. Hesse obtained it from Mr. Hoodper.
Mr. Hesse is a welder at the Oliver Tractor Works at Charles City...