Antique tractor quartet stars at Little Log House Antique Power Show.
Opposite page: A rear view of Steve Bauer’s pair of Fairbanks-Morse tractors shows the year each was manufactured, the company name and their size – the smaller tractor was home built.
Above: Rear wheels on the Flour City 40-70 tractor were 9 feet tall.
Left: This side view of the radiator clearly shows the lineage of the Big Four tractor. The Big Four Emerson and the Flour City 40-70 (above) are displayed for 12 days each year at the Minnesota State Fair Old Iron section to help highlight Minnesota’s tractor-manufacturing history. By unofficial count, the state has been home to 112 different tractor manufacturers since the turn of the 20th century. These two tractors were built within five miles of the fairgrounds, and shipped by rail to their final destinations.
Below: The front of the radiator on the Big Four “30” shows not only the large “4” designating the tractor, but also the tube-type radiator that was becoming popular at the time.
Below: The Fairbanks-Morse 15-25 is another of the beautifully restored vintage tractors displayed at the Little Log House grounds.
Below: The Sawyer-Massey 25-40 tractor, manufactured in 1912, still used a chain steering method.
Above: Ray Nicolai Jr., left, who did much of the restoration work on the Big Four “30,” and tractor owner Steve Bauer.
Left: Steve Bauer with his restored Flour City 40-70 tractor.
Above: A front view of the Sawyer-Massey 25-40 tractor at the Little Log House grounds near Hastings, Minn.
Left: This “baby” Fairbanks-Morse 2-1/2-5 hp, a duplicate of the big FM 15-25, is made entirely of scrap metal, and it also runs. It is powered by a Fairbanks-Morse gas engine.
Above: A close-up of the Fairbanks-Morse gas engine used in the 2-1/2-5 hp small tractor.