Yarnell Wastler auction had approximately 300 lots, including antique autos and trucks, tractor signs and other farm memorabilia
More than a dozen beautifully restored tractors and an assortment of old tools, toys and farm-related equipment drew a crowd of more than 300 prospective bidders.
The seller, Yarnell Wastler, had shifted his focus from vintage tractors to Mack trucks. Approximately 300 lots included antique autos and trucks, tractor signs and other farm memorabilia. Jay Ruby was the auctioneer; and people came from Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia and New Jersey to attend the October auction.
The most eye-catching piece from an historical point of view was a John Deere double-tree horse-drawn wagon made of oak and hickory. While no exact date for its manufacture had been established, it still carried the original paint, the John Deere guarantee on the front of the wagon and the John Deere logo on the back of the seat. It had spoke wheels and a rear grain door in working order. Enthusiastic bidding resulted in its sale for $3,000.
Included in the tractors was a 1958 International 650 diesel bearing the serial number 2165. It had been fully restored and the engine rebuilt. The final bid was $9,000. Another machine from the 1950s attracting much attention was a 1958 John Deere 820 (also fully restored) which sold for $5,400.
A doctor’s open buggy and a wooden sleigh, both believed to date to the early 20th century, were also on the auction block. The buggy brought $440; the sleigh, $375.
Auction goers found all kinds of interesting items under a tent erected in case of inclement weather. One of these was a piece described as a broom-making machine. Undated literature accompanying it referred to a Baltimore broom stitcher made by the Baltimore (Md.) Broom Company, but there was no documentation to establish authenticity. The machine sold for $110.
• New Holland 489 hay bine, serial number 806428, $2,600.
• 1955 Caterpillar D2 dozer (running condition), serial number 5U15279, $4,200.
• International 2444 with snow plow, serial number 02123, $1,650.
• International Cub with sickle bar mower, serial number 230552, $2,000.
• Minneapolis-Moline propane-powered 425B (running condition), serial number 16101935, $2,500.
• John Deere 320 standard, serial number 320594, $5,500.
• John Deere 70 series diesel, serial number 7021350, $2,500.
• 1948 International 1-6 with gas engine and side belt pulley (rebuilt engine, new clutch and new brakes), serial number 23553, $3,600.
• 1942 International W-D9 diesel with side belt pulley (rebuilt engine), serial number 3283, $4,000.
• 1948 International W-D9 diesel with side belt pulley (rebuilt engine), serial number 3220, $4,100.
• Ford 960 Tri-Cycle Front tractor, serial number 36333, $4,100.
• Allis-Chalmers loader tractor, $1,500; Iron Age garden planter, $60. FC
Jill Teunis is a freelance writer based in Damascus, Md.