Could this be a spreader?

Letters to the Editor

| February 2010

While my husband, Jon, and I went on a trip to Oleola, S.D., from Gilman, Minn., Jon’s nephew, Ryan Heinen (an assistant manager on a bison preserve), asked us what these two pieces were for since we both grew up on farms. We don’t know! No clue – other than spreader or gatherer. They’re the same machine with teeth that are actually nails. The drawbar is on the right with the box on the rear.

M.F. Moulzolf-Heinen
9678 Pine Rd. N.E.
Foley, MN 56329

Send letters to: Farm Collector, 1503 S.W. 42nd St., Topeka, KS 66609; FAX: (785) 274-4385; e-mail:


Kit Carson Historical Society
1/18/2010 3:25:50 PM

We have acquired a John Deere farm wagon and want to do some preservation on it. Can anyone tell us which logo was used on these wagons? The wagon has green side boards (double), red wheels and rims, red tongue. Thanks

Daniel Wiest
1/15/2010 5:49:52 PM

In regards to the February Article "Could this be a spreader?", I absolutely say this is not! In fact, I own one of these in working order. It is called a Blue-Grass Stripper. It is used to strip the bluegrass seed from the prairies, which was sold to seed companies. I grew up in South Dakota, and my brothers and sisters were older and used these growing up. The strippers were linked together with the offset hitch, 3,4 at a time behind a tractor. One simply drove accross the prairie, and the wheel would spin quickly and strip the seeds as it is beat from the bluegrass head and collected in the box. I believe my Dad has said the strippers were provided by the seed companies, and we must have had over twenty. They were abandonded and left in the pastures. We saved one that looks very similiar to this picture, but we had 3-4 styles with various designs. It was another way to make a little cash using what was available on the farm. Hope this Helps.