Yes, we are here!

In times like these our hobbies become lifesavers. At GAS ENGINE MAGAZINE and FARM COLLECTOR, we have been tracking down the most interesting and rare vintage farm machines and collections for more than 80 years combined! That includes researching and sourcing the best books on collectibles available anywhere. Our online store is open and we are here to answer any questions you might have. Our customer service staff is available Monday through Friday from 8a.m.-5p.m. CDT. We can be reached at 1-866-624-9388 or by email. Stay safe!


| February 2003

  • FC_V5_I7_Feb_2003_02-1.jpg
    Ray LoewenDamming ditcher" or a "lister
  • FC_V5_I7_Feb_2003_02-3.jpg
    James WagnerBaler
  • FC_V5_I7_Feb_2003_02-2.jpg
    Dick KatesWoodworking scraper
  • FC_V5_I7_Feb_2003_02-4.jpg
    Kathleen HortonAxles in dirt
  • FC_V5_I7_Feb_2003_02-5.jpg
    Jim MoffetAxles in dirt

  • FC_V5_I7_Feb_2003_02-1.jpg
  • FC_V5_I7_Feb_2003_02-3.jpg
  • FC_V5_I7_Feb_2003_02-2.jpg
  • FC_V5_I7_Feb_2003_02-4.jpg
  • FC_V5_I7_Feb_2003_02-5.jpg

This implement has IHC-marked parts on the wheel hubs. In an IHC book, I found some printed information, but no photos. They called it a 'damming ditcher' or a 'lister,' but I am still wondering if that is right. Does anyone know anything about this type of implement?

- Ray Loewen, 2134 6th Ave. N.W., Calgary, AB T2N 0W7 Canada

'What-is-it?' whoops

In response to the mystery tool C in the September issue of Farm Collector, which was identified as a woodworking scraper, possibly a scorp: I'm sure that the tool is a turpentine hacker. The tool was used to slash the bark on a pine tree to allow the sap to flow into a bucket. The tool had an iron weight on the end of the handle to provide additional momentum, as the tool is pulled downward for the cut.

- Dick Kates, 409 Park St., Oakland, IA51560

I am certain that the item pictured in the September Farm Collector What-is-it? page, item C, was used to tap pine resin from trees in south Georgia and north Florida.

- Preston Currey, Box 338, Hughes Springs, TX 75656; (903) 639-7305


Farm Collector April 16Farm Collector is a monthly magazine focusing on antique tractors and all kinds of antique farm equipment. If it's old and from the farm, we're interested in it!

Save Even More Money with our SQUARE-DEAL Plan!

Pay now with a credit card and take advantage of our SQUARE-DEAL automatic renewal savings plan. You'll get 12 issues of Farm Collector for only $24.95 (USA only).

Or, Bill Me Later and send me one year of Farm Collector for just $29.95.

Facebook Pinterest YouTube


click me