| October 2002

Howard K. Holdeman of Bristol, Ind., left, turned an eclectic selection of vintage parts into a working tractor. These photos show his progress; some were taken in August 2001, at the Tri-State Gas Engine & Tractor Association Show in Portland, Ind.

During my various tractor trades, I acquired a John Deere model L tractor chassis with no motor, radiator or hood. 'What to do with it?'

I had a chance to purchase a motor from a John Deere combine model 40, which is a four-cylinder and also has a much larger displacement than the original L engine.

I had a clutch and a bell housing from an old model L Hercules engine that was 2 inches smaller than the bell housing on the model 40 engine.

By having a 1/2-inch steel plate made, the two bell housings would work so I could use the clutch from the old L. The combination clutch housing and the length of the four-cylinder was longer by 4 inches than the old tubular frame would permit, so I cut the tubes and substituted two 3-inch 4.1 steel channels and welded them in place of the tubes. The L drive shaft was eliminated, and I used one end of the old drive shaft. I took a 1985 Mercury car's used rack-and-pinion front steering and adapted it to the front of the tractor. The next step was to remove the old steering box and extend the steering shaft.

I sandblasted the chassis and parts and repainted it John Deere green. I installed new tires and a new, original hood and grille.


Farm Collector April 16Farm Collector is a monthly magazine focusing on antique tractors and all kinds of antique farm equipment. If it's old and from the farm, we're interested in it!

Save Even More Money with our SQUARE-DEAL Plan!

Pay now with a credit card and take advantage of our SQUARE-DEAL automatic renewal savings plan. You'll get 12 issues of Farm Collector for only $24.95 (USA only).

Or, Bill Me Later and send me one year of Farm Collector for just $29.95.

Facebook Pinterest YouTube


Copyright 2018, All Rights Reserved
Ogden Publications, Inc., 1503 SW 42nd St., Topeka, Kansas 66609-1265