A HISTORY OF THE NICHOLS & SHEPARD COMPANY

The history of American makes of engines and threshers


| September/October 1953



Straw burner

N & S rear mounted double cylinder straw burner. 1921 model.

E. R. Potter

Edwin C. Nichol became president of the company when his father passed away in 1891 at the age of 77.

During the eighteen nineties self-feeders, weighers, baggers, loaders and wind stackers were developed. Nichols & Shepard were among the first companies to use the 'Farmer's Friend' stacker, they also used the Nethery and See burn before finally adopting the Gearless.

Their engines were improved by changing the steering from left to right handed or flywheel side and the use of the friction clutch.

Woolf Compound cylinders were introduced in 1896 and applied to both their direct and return flue boilers. They were built-until 1904.

The beginning of the century saw the first of their 16 bar cylinder threshing machines being tried in the vast grain fields of the Red River Valley. As a result of the wonderful work these machines performed they became known as the 'Red River Special', and were soon one of the most popular machines in the country.

Universal type boilers mounted with Corliss guide engines were the beginning of a new line of engines capable of burning coal, wood or straw. By 1902 this new line had eliminated all other types built by the company.