A Tribute to the Mounted Police


| May/June 1975



Model Steam Engine

Courtesy of Dick Hain, Route 1, Bee, Nebraska 68314.

Dick Hain

PREFACE [George Shepherd, Museum Curator of Western Development Museum, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan has written quite a lengthy story on the Mounted Police for a local paper. He condensed it for the readers of Iron-Men Album, thinking they would enjoy it. While it does not deal directly with our hobby material of the magazine, it is representative of our past history. We feel it will be well accepted. Our hats are off to the Mounted Police and their century of significant work Anna Mae]

On the 23rd day of May 1873, only six short years after Confedertion, the Dominion Parliament authorized the establishment of the North West Mounted Police. It had been the intention to call the Force 'Mounted Rifles' but in deference to protests from Washington as to the advisability or necessity of Canada having an armed body of mounted riflemen patrolling the International border, where the United States already had military posts established, Sir John A. Mac-Donald reached for a pen. Crossing out the word Rifles he wrote in the word Police. This year of 1973 the North West Mounted Police celebrate one hundred years of brilliant and colorful history. It was a breath taking project. A force of men, hastily recruited, was to patrol an inland empire, the size of Europe -on horseback.

Much organization work was done during the first winter, but on June 6th, 1874 two special train-loads of men, horses and equipment left Toronto bound for the Far West. The country, now known as Western Canada, was unpeopled by white men, except for isolated Hudson's Bay Trading Forts, and had an estimated population of some 25,000 warring Canadian Indians, assisted by sporadic incursions of Sioux and Crow Indians from the Montana Territories. The two special trains travelled via Chicago and St. Paul to Fargo, North Dakota, which was, at that time, the end of steel.

Pictured are my Dad's two model steam engines. The small one is modeled after a Case and Woods Bros, as parts permitted. He made this one with hand tools only. The cylinder is made from a hydraulic brake cylinder. The back wheels are 8 inches high, front are 4 inches.

The large one is a 4 inch scale Avery return flue. This engine was made by J.W. Parolek and formerly owned by Artie Hudson, both two true Iron-Men.

We also have eight gas engines, several small stationary steam engines and a model A Ford