Hamilton, Missouri 64644
The 12th Annual North Missouri Steam and Gas Engine Antique Show and Demonstration was held August 15, 16, and 17 at Hamilton, Missouri, with many new exhibitors taking part in the show.
Sixteen year old Stanley Mayberry of Dawn, Missouri brought his 22 HP Advance Rumely steam engine. Stanley purchased the engine in the fall of 1974 and did practically all of the restoring himself. His steam engine was used most of the time to power a large sawmill owned and restored by Paul Bryant, Braymer, Missouri.
A 16 HP Nichols and Shepard steam engine was brought by the Maxwell Brothers of Ridgeway, Missouri. The Shahan Brothers, Brashear, Missouri came with their 50 HP Case Steam Engine and 20-35 Rumely Oil Pull Tractor and tested the power on Paul Bryant's Baker Fan. Frankie Van-Dusen, Dawn, Missouri exhibited his 16 HP Advance engine and Shingle Mill. His 1912 Maxwell Touring car was exhibited with many other cars in the antique car contest. Among the cars in the contest were a 1931 Rolls Royce in very good condition, owned by Mrs. Woodson of Polo, Missouri, and a 1930 Marmon Roosevelt owned and restored by Glen Streeter, Hamilton, Missouri. An unusual exhibit of a horse-drawn Rockfall Funeral coach, purchased new in 1901 by the Bram family, was shown and is now in the possession of the Bram Funeral Home, Hamilton, Mo.
Howard Younger of Overland Park, Kansas came and operated our 20 HP Russell Steam Engine as he has done for the past 12 years. Other steam engines include a 20 HP Advance Rumely owned by T. R. Swartz of Shawnee Mission, Kansas, a 25 Minneapolis owned by Paul Bryant, a 65 HP Case Steam Engine owned by Virgil Rains, Kingston, Missouri. Twelve model steam engines were brought in from as far away as Dubois, Nebraska. Mr. Ralph Levings, Madison, Missouri and his son-in-law brought their two model steam engines and a model sawmill which they operated during the show. Other model engines and tractors were trucked in from Iowa, Illinois, Arkansas and Kansas. There were approximately 300 gas engines and antique and model tractors in the show. Of 6 known to be left in existence, was a 1906 Fuller-Johnson gas engine owned by C. T. Henderson of Waukee, Iowa.
The show started with setting up of exhibits on Friday and a Draft Horse Pull that evening. An uptown parade was held Saturday morning where the stores had window displays and sidewalk sales.
On the show grounds, the action was about the usual, with the threshing of wheat, clover hulling, sawmilling and shingle saw demonstrations, baker fans in use, and various other exhibits and demon-strations. A horse shoe pitching contest, flea markets, and antique car contest, old fiddler's contest and other music were available to the crowd on the grounds.
The Association wishes to thank all of the exhibitors and is looking forward to another good show the third weekend in August, 1976.