Collective Farm Puts Crop Into Distillery


| May/June 1959


(From the De Kalb Daily Chronicle, De Kalb, Illinois)

I thought you might be interested in the enclosed pictures for your publication. The pictures and story are by George Embree, son of Mr. and Mrs. Waite Embree of De Kalb, Illinois. Waite is Vice-President of the Northern Illinois Steam Power Club, and has a tremendous collection of steam locomotive pictures as well as a lot of historical material on De Kalb County, Illinois.

The Northern Illinois Steam Power Club was organized last February and now has about 75 members. This spring President Rupert Jordan provided a slide film program that proved very interesting; then in August member John Allen put on a threshing show at his farm at Allen's Corners, near Hampshire, Illinois. He had two Minneapolis steam engines operating the separators and his small Peerless portable running the elevator. Several nice teams were employed to bring the oats from the field. Over 3,500 spectators were on hand during the day. In early October the club met at the farm of N. S. Gould at Elburn where he had his Illinois steam engine running the sawmill and a tractor hooked on the big cider press so that provided a very pleasant afternoon which was climaxed with a pot-luck supper that over 50 members attended. We try and meet four times a year.

By George Embree OLSZTYN, POLAND Once again farming in Poland is becoming a hard-headed matter of dollars and cents rather than Communist ideology. The first year under the liberalized agricultural policy first introduced last October, thanks to a favorable summer, produced a good crop.

To find out what conditions are actually like in the country under the new policy this reporter visited a state farm in former German East Prussia. Since the arrangements for the visit were made through Orbis, the official tourist agency, there is every likelihood that the farm was not typical.

Before the war this land was operated by a German landlord who had just over 2,000 acres. Shortly after the Poles took over in 1944-45 the German manager was replaced by the present Polish manager and an additional 500 acres were added to the farm.