Gaar-Scott Restoration


| March/April 1986



Gaar-Scott engine

283 Abbeyfeale Rd. Mansfield, Ohio 44907

It all started when I decided to sell my motorcycle and buy a steam engine of my own. I made this decision because I had run my father's steam engine and really enjoyed it. I always liked to help Dad run his engine at the Dover Steam Show and the Richland County Steam Thresher's Show. My father is Tom Woodard of Mansfield, Ohio. He owns a 1920,18 HP Advance Rumely #15278; it is in excellent condition. Because I value my father's knowledge of engines, I asked him to help me in my hunt for a steam engine. Word got around and Dad received a call from Bill Kennedy in Elizabeth, West Virginia. Bill said that he had an engine he would be willing to sell from his collection. A 1911 or 1912, 13 HP Gaar-Scott engine #14368. After a trip to Bill's place to check out the engine, I decided this engine would be the perfect one for me. It was an engine that looked easy to operate and would be the perfect engine to teach my two sons, Bret and Zachery, to run.

Dad and I received the engine the second week of November, 1984 and immediately started to take it apart. As you can see by the picture, it was in pretty bad shape with the exception of the boiler and stay bolts. You could still see thread down to the crown sheet on the stay bolts. The boiler and stays were the deciding factors of the purchase.

What you see is what we got. The only things not shown in the picture were the governor, whistle, stack bell, doors and coal boxes. The following will be a list of things we did to the engine in a ten month period. We had the engine ready for the 31st reunion of the Richland County Steam Thresher Association's show at Malabar Farm on September 28-29, 1985.

I started by taking everything off the engine that I could get in my basement workshop. The first things cleaned and painted were the head, steam chest cover, clutch and reverse levers, all valve linkage, connecting rod, crosshead, fire and draft doors.

Next were the governors. After dismantling and replacing the worn shaft and ball bearings, I reblued the spring steel bands, polished the brass, painted and pin stripped all component parts. It was then assembled and set aside for later.