Don Ferry lining up a log to be sawed with the size sawmill he built from scratch.
1745 Redwood Road Kirkman, Iowa 51447-7520
The 20th annual Greenridge Steam and Gas Antique Show was the best attended show yet, with over 2,500 people taking in the sights throughout the weekend. President Adrian Nelson felt it was the best participation of exhibitors and parade entrants ever. The excellent weather, of course, factored into the success, too!
The new shingle mill was a real drawing card, and the crowd enjoyed watching it make cedar shingles. These were then nailed to the roof of the mill by the club president, using nails which had been handmade in the blacksmith shop on the grounds. Steve Nelson, Marne, was in charge, along with helpers Bob Hansen of Atlantic and Jeff Allen of Omaha. The blacksmith shop was run by a 1920 Fairbanks-Morse 20 HP 2-cycle diesel engine owned by John and James Weighton, Audubon.
Don Ferry, Irwin, powered his home-built half-size sawmill with Howard Mickelson's homemade half-size steam engine. Howard also owns the 1915 Case steam engine which runs Don's 1902 Aultman and Taylor sawmill. On hand to help run both sawmills and steam engines were Clark Ahrenholtz, Harlan; Dick Wright and Max Miller, Villisca; Bob Nelson, Atlantic; and John Thumma, Laurens.
The 1916 65-Case steam engine owned by the Greenridge Club threshed oats in the east field with engineers Danny and Kris Mickelson, Harlan; guest engineers Marlowe Feldman, Albert City, and Randy Sawyer, Council Bluffs.
A first time attraction to the show was homemade baseball bats. Willard Oliver, Irwin, fashioned these using a lathe. Kim VanBibber, Harlan, did spray paint caricature drawings.'
'The Rancheros ' of Sioux City drew a good crowd for the Saturday night country music show. Howard and Marianne Clark said that musicians arrived from all over Iowa and Omaha. As people walked about the grounds, they could enjoy music in almost every area as 'jam sessions' entertained.
Ted Gollobit of Manilla was in charge of the sorghum making operation. He was aided by a large crew with special helpers Kenny Brundige, Irwin; Dennis Duke, Panora; and John Hickman, Guthrie Center. Ted reported that this year's sorghum had plenty of really sweet juice, which cooked up to perfection.
The Iowa Sesquicentennial Covered Wagon was in the center of the grounds and enjoyed by all.
The horse treadmill ground corn. Arlo Peterson and Gaylord Heilesen were in charge and provided the horses.
For the first time ever, Raleigh Woltmann, Avoca, shared his Post Office box display. Special features in this display were a Frederick Remington portrait. Remington is the man who started the Rural Free Mail Delivery. This is the centennial celebration year for Rural Free Delivery.
Richard and Vi Wooster, Manning, with several helpers, ground fresh rye and wheat flour from their 1918 Meadows grist mill. Richard said they had trouble keeping up with the orders as people stood in line to buy the flour.
Bud Isaacs, Denison, was back again to please the crowd with his 1920s era Butter Kist popcorn machine. It is gas-electric and used to be in the Sievers Drug Store at Westside.
Bill Constable of Shelby demonstrated chair caning. Kathy McLaren, Cedar Rapids, showed people how to weave baskets of all sizes and shapes.
Mary Miller, Irwin, filled the kitchen in the old house with an interesting display of antique flowered feed sacks, crockery, quilts, and cookie cutters, along with other items.
Doug and Vicky Travis of Lewis drew big business with their Lazy T's Homemade Ice Cream. Powered by a 1917 John Deere stationary engine, it made five gallons of homemade ice cream every 25 minutes.
Jim Clark set up his chain saw demonstration by the little log cabin. He enjoyed carving out his creations while the spectators tried to guess what the finished product would be.
Garland and Bev Barrat, Irwin, made apple cider squeezed on a 1910 Americus apple cider press.
Bernard and Harriett Cox, Tennant, displayed their many miniature metal steam-powered toys, including a carousel. Bernard designed a 'poorman's Harley'a bicycle run by a chainsaw. He demonstrated this by riding it in the parade both days.
Ken and Frances Wieland, Templeton, had 'Shorty's Homemade Taters, Chips, and Beans' for a taste treat. This food was cooked in iron pots and pans over an open fire, which was fun to watch.
Alfred and Phyllis Schroeder, Breda, operated a mini-baler and tractor which were made by their late son, Dan. They also demonstrated rope-making.
Antique vehicles displayed included a 1926 Model T Ford by Norris Olson, Walkertown, a 1951 Chevy pickup by Leonard and Madge Fiscus, Harlan, a 1930 Model A Ford and a 1961 Ford Mustang by Clark and Mary Ahrenholtz, and a 1928 Model A Ford by Robert and Dorothy (Grandma D) Lohrmann, Manilla.
Another first-timer to the show was Ed Greiner, Panama, who had his collection of antique bicycles on hand. He is especially proud of his 24' Schwinn Phantom, the 'Cadillac' of the Schwinns, and a five-speed 'Apple Krate' Schwinn.
The Western Iowa Two-Cylinder Club, Avoca, brought several tractors for display and then drove them in the parade.
Don and Marilyn Combes, Omaha, brought an unusual looking small tractor called a Bantam. These tractors were made between 1947 and 1952, and were used for pulling lawnmowers or pushing snow.
Wilbur and Wilma Anderson, Kiron, showed off several 1/8scale models which Wilbur made by hand. Some of these included a Minneapolis steam engine, John Deere tractor Model D with a plow, Model R Waterloo Boy tractor, Holt Caterpillar engine, gas engine model and cement mixer.
Preceding the show on Friday, the fifth graders from Irwin-Kirkman-Manilla toured the grounds. Mrs. Nancy Kloewer, one of the IKM teachers, said that the students' favorite part of the tour was getting to blow the whistle on the big steam engine. The tour is incorporated into their Iowa history study.
We invite you all to attend our 1997 show to be held on September 20 and 21.