History of Aultman & Taylor, Part VII

Reorganization leads to a lucrative trade in water-tube boilers for Aultman & Taylor


| November/December 2001



John Cahill's first boiler patent, granted in October of 1892

John Cahill's first boiler patent, granted in October of 1892.

The seventh installment of the late Dr. Bixler's history of the Aultman & Taylor Company appears below. The Album is serializing Dr. Bixler's book, which affords rare insights into the life and times of a major American manufacturing firm. For more than 20 years, Dr. Bixler's unpublished manuscript lay virtually forgotten in the Mansfield/Richland County Public Library. Then, acting on a tip from George Richey, Dr. Rhode found the book, edited it, and prepared it for publication in the Album. In this installment, Dr. Bixler highlights Aultman & Taylor's lucrative trade in water-tube boilers.

Click here for part I of the history of Aultman & Taylor.
Click here for part II of the history of Aultman & Taylor.
Click here for part III of the history of Aultman & Taylor.
Click here for part IV of the history of Aultman & Taylor.
Click here for part V of the history of Aultman & Taylor.
Click here for part VI of the history of Aultman & Taylor.

CHAPTER 7

A New Company and Water-Tube Boilers

Immediately following his election to Congress in the fall of 1891, Michael D. Harter withdrew from an active role in the management of the Aultman & Taylor Company, a responsibility he had assumed for 21 years. Having been elected to represent the people from his section of the state of Ohio in the halls of Congress, he was desirous of devoting all of his time and energy to that new endeavor. 1 

Newspaper accounts asserted that a foremost manufacturing company of Mansfield was the Aultman & Taylor Company. Its business had been successful due primarily to its efficient management, as well as the business tact of its treasurer and superintendent, Michael D. Harter. At the time of his retirement as an active participant he owned a considerable amount of stock in the company. 2 

In accordance with Ohio law, notices were published in the local newspapers beginning on Aug. 23, 1891, announcing that a reorganization of the Aultman & Taylor Company was to be completed. These accounts asserted that the firm was to be bigger and better than ever, that the reorganization was to occur after 25 years of a most remarkable record, and that the year of 1890 had been an unprecedentedly good one. Primarily because of his retirement, Harter deemed the time opportune for the organization of a new company. Accordingly he initiated the movement that established the Aultman & Taylor Machinery Company.

While the newspaper referred to the transaction as reorganization, yet it is more accurate to state that, to all intents and purposes, a new company was established, as indicated by the change of name to the Aultman & Taylor Machinery Company.3 At the close of the 1891 season the Aultman & Taylor Company sold their plant to the Aultman & Taylor Machinery Company and ceased the manufacture of machinery. The new company was incorporated on Sept. 1, 1891, and began operations on that date.