D. W. Batterman, who with his two sons operates the Batterman
Machine Shop at Harrisonburg, Virginia, purchased last spring the
twin-cylinder Frick traction engine shown, and now has this in
The engine was built at Waynesboro, Pa., in 1922. It bears No.
23183, and has cylinders of size 7×10 inches.
When the engine was new it was purchased along with a Frick
thresher and sawmill by M. L. Craum of Weyers Cave, Virginia, who
used it for seven years. The engine was then sold to Jacob Wine of
Mt. Sidney, Va., who used it about a year for sawmill work before
selling it to W. C. Wine of the same place.
After another year of sawmill work the engine was sold to E. T.
Garber and Sons, who were Frick dealers at Harrisonburg at that
time. They sold they machine to William Alderman, of Briar Branck,
who after about two years sold it to Whitney Sheffer of Monterey,
Va. Mr. Sheffer used this engine steadily for driving his sawmill
until some two and a half years ago, when he installed a power
Mr. Batterman plans to have the engine put in A-1 condition and
to add a new canopy or cab. The boiler and flues are in good
Mr. Batterman has for years taken a keen interest in steam
power, and operated a Stanley Steamer car as late as 1937. He has
lately been busy installing steam drive in a modern car. His shop
handles the complete line of Frick farm and sawmill machinery.