History of Aultman & Taylor, Part III

Looking at the influential people in Aultman & Taylor's history


| March/April 2001



The Pioneer, an agitator type, the first thresher built by the Aultman & Taylor Manufacturing Company

N.R. Darling of Fredericktown, Knox County, Ohio, and the Pioneer, an agitator type, the first thresher built by the Aultman & Taylor Manufacturing Company and sold to Darling in 1868; it was destroyed in the first of 1896.

In this issue of the Album appears the third installment of Dr. Bixler's history of the Aultman & Taylor Company, as edited by Dr. Robert T. Rhode. The Album is serializing Dr. Bixler's book. Dr. Bixler, a professor at Muskingum College in New Concord, Ohio, passed away before he could publish the manuscript on which he had labored. His well-researched book affords rare glimpses into the lives of key figures who established Aultman & Taylor's reputation for excellence. Manuscripts belonging to Dr. Bixler are in the Sherman Room of the Mansfield/Richland County Public Library in Mansfield, Ohio.

To read the first installment, click here.
To read the second installment, click here. 

CHAPTER 3

The Original Personnel and Organization of the Aultman & Taylor Company

The first board of directors of the [Aultman & Taylor Company, founded in 1867,] was composed of the following members: Cornelius Aultman, Canton, Ohio; Elizabeth Aultman Harter, Canton, Ohio; John Tonner, Canton, Ohio; Henry H. Taylor, Chicago, Illinois; H. Chatfield Taylor, Chicago, Illinois, and J. C. Wiggle, Mansfield, Ohio.

Three of the original directors came from Canton having been associated with Aultman in his enterprise in that city. John Tonner was the secretary of C. Aultman & Co. for a number of years and was a competent businessman. It should be observed that H. Chatfield Taylor was the son of Henry H. Taylor and one of the original directors. Elizabeth, the daughter of Cornelius Aultman, at the age of nineteen was also one of the original directors.

For a woman to have been a member of the board of directors in that day is particularly noteworthy. That was in 1867 and 1868, long before the day of [women's suffrage] ... Elizabeth Aultman Harter ... grew up with the company. Moreover, she was the only member to serve in that capacity during the fifty-six years that the company was in business. Her leadership and influence [were] of great significance in the affairs of the company.

Subsequent to Taylor's death, Aultman purchased his holdings in the company and thus acquired the controlling interest in the [firm], most of which was inherited by Mrs. Harter. Following the death of her father she became the largest stockholder in the company and held the controlling interest until its dissolution.