I REMEMBER


| July/August 1955



Jay Hoagland and his65 Case

Jay Hoagland and his 65 Case. Mr. Hoagland's address is R. D. 1, Mt. Vernon, Ohio. Photo courtesy of James M. Barnhart, Quakertown Hospital, Quakertown, Pa.

James M. Barnhart

Tacoma, Ohio

In elder years, to be a thresherman  was deemed to be a noted vocation. And the coming of the thresher and the threshing day on the farm each year was hailed with joy as a gala day for both young and old who assembled for the event. To see and hear the old steamer, the prime factor of the thresher or other machinery it powered, which we all adored. The past years have wrought many vast and wonderful changes, one of these which was the dearest line of work to many of us who owned, operated and sold the old steam traction engine and its allies, the thresher, baler, the clover huller, husker and silo filler, which one never grew tired of. Back in yesteryear the good old days, a vast army of threshermen and their help was employed to operate many thousands of outfits which took both skill and knowledge to successfully operate the steamer and its auxiliaries. And no greater line of employment to follow for anyone during the era of the steamer and thresher and no greater deeds for the inventor, designer and builder of these pieces of machinery, or equipment for the thresherman's use which seems more a necessity than invention, to meet the growing needs of the labor saving and speedier operation.

The old time steamer and the machinery it powered have vanished into oblivion together with many plants building the old time equipment and whose history reads like a romance.

In digging back through some six hundred or more thresher magazines, dating back half century ago or more the grand old American Thresherman, The Thresher World, Threshermans Review, and Canadian Thresherman, together with information from old threshermen, manufacturers and other reliable sources handed down.

Some 40 years ago many mammoth plants were building hundreds of threshing outfits which the inventors and manufacturers had ventured many hardships and burning of midnight oil to solve their destiny and study out piece by piece for a complete machine to both fill the requirements of the thresherman and farmer.

Such is the history of one well known plant here in Ohio founded by Chas. M. Russell January 11, 1842, together with two other brothers, Nahern and Clement Russell, who came from New England and settled in Massilon, Ohio, in 1838 and followed the carpenter trade until they embarked on the building of machinery, and known as the C. M. Russell and Co., and continued to do so until the death of C. M. Russell in 1860. At which time the plant was still operated by Nahern and Clement until January 1, 1864 when the other brothers from New England, Joseph, Thomas H., and George L. Russell joined the company now known as Russell and Company.