John Goodison Thresher Company


| March/April 1988



20 HP steam traction engine

117 Ruch Street Coplay, PA 18037

John Goodison, who had been general agent for the bankrupt Sarni Agricultural Implement Assn. Co., together with G. H. Samis, purchased the interest and factory of the insolvent company. They operated for a year, but under adverse circumstances, and were glad to enter into negotiations with the Sawyer & Massey Co. of Hamilton, Ontario, for the sale of their interests. Operations were continued as usual and John Goodison was retained as manager by the Hamilton firm.

John Goodison 20 HP steam traction engine built in 1922 by the John Goodison Thresher Company, and owned by Donald Shell of Ontario.

John Goodison was not satisfied with the new arrangement, and late in 1889 acquired sole ownership of the concern. The days of Sawyer & Massey control convinced him of the future of the threshing machine industry, and he wisely abandoned the manufacture of reapers and plows and concentrated on threshing machinery. For a while he called his factory the Tunnel City Thresher Works, but soon changed it to the John Goodison Thresher Co. Meanwhile, the fame of the Mc Closky thresher was spreading, and in 1892 Mr. Goodison acquired the right to build these machines. He persuaded John Mc Closky to move to Sarnia and work in his factory. The years that followed saw the firm prospering and soon the Goodison 'New Mc Closky' threshers were favorably known throughout both eastern and western Canada.

A 20 HP John Goodison steam traction engine built in 1920. This engine is owned by Vince Riddell of Ontario, Canada, and is here chugging around at the Ontario Steam & Antique Preservers show at Milton, Ontario, Canada.

John Mc Closky was born in Ireland in 1847. At the age of seventeen he came to Canada along with his parents, three sisters and five brothers. The family located in the bush near the tiny settlement of Old castle, about 11 miles from the present city of Windsor, Ontario, Canada.