| July/August 1963

Lawrence Weisz writes . . . . . . .

Enclosed you will find a check for three dollars for the renewal of the finest and most interesting magazine which I receive. I have been getting it since 1951 and I have all the copies up to the present except for one. I am also enclosing two pictures of some old steam shovels that were used around 1900 or later. In the big picture the fellow on top of the cab is C. A. Goodwin, my son-in-law's grand-father, who operated the steam shovel for many years. The small picture is a later steam shovel which used to dig marl and load dump cars for a cement plant near Castalia, Ohio. I don't know whether they are plain enough to be reprint c, but I knew that they would interest you anyway.

I believe that you will remember Cletus Wryer, who was a good friend of mine and who had built a small steam engine that he displayed at various reunions. I hauled it to Montpelier for him the first time he showed it. I believe that he got an old grain separator from you which he later showed with it.

Lawrence Weisz, Route 4, Bellevue, Ohio

W. H. Hooke writes . . . . . . . . .

On Friday, January 25, 1963, Al Franckle, Business Manager of Dickinson College called me and asked if I owned a steam engine. I informed him that I did and he said, 'Would you bring it up to Metzger Hall as soon as possible?' Metzger Hall is a girl's dormitory. I told him that it was in 'moth balls' for the winter, but this did not dampen his hopes, and he informed me that he was unable to get an auxiliary steam unit anywhere, and that there were 83 girls in the dormitory without heat.

I then agreed to get the engine into Carlisle as soon as possible, and immediately got in touch with men whom I could depend on as firemen, Bill King, Dillsburg, R. D. 1, Ernest Shover, Dave Sheaffer, and Dave Shearer of Carlisle, Pa. and LeRoy Boyd of Mechanicsburg, Pa. This call came late Friday, January 25th and we hooked up Saturday the 26th to the dormitory steam system. We furnished heat continuously 24 hours a day until the early part of February, 1963.

I appreciated the cooperation of these firemen, and I am sure the Dickinson College officials share this appreciation.