9374 Roosevelt St. Crown Point, Indiana 46307
The following information comes courtesy of the Richmond County Historical Society, Inc. in Augusta, Georgia. Sources of the individual articles are noted.
Over a very long period, four successive generations of the Lombard family have figured prominently in the life and development of Augusta. Grandfather, father, son, and grandson, all bearing the given name of George, have operated one of the outstanding industrial companies of the city, and each in turn has contributed to local progress and prosperity, civic advance and the public welfare.
George O. Lombard, grandfather of the gentleman whose name heads this review, was born in Springfield, Massachusetts, but in 1869 purchased the Forest City Iron Works and Supply Company at Augusta, Georgia, which began operating under the trade name of George O. Lombard and Company. He started in a very small way, for this was shortly after the end of the War Between the States, and the means of nearly everyone had been greatly reduced and declined still further during the disastrous 'reconstruction period.' Growth for a number of years was relatively restricted, but the concern filled a genuine need in the city and therefore had the vitality to succeed. George O. Lombard married Frances Rowley, and their son, George R. Lombard, was born in 1856 and lived until April 19, 1929. He became one of the outstanding businessmen in Georgia and brought the company to major industrial leadership in its field. In 1894 the concern had been incorporated, and in 1914 it was rechartered as the Lombard Iron Works and Supply Company. He served as its president until his demise. George R. and Alice Hepzibah Lombard, were the parents of George S. Lombard, born in Augusta, February 18, 1879.
George S. Lombard received his formal and technical education in local public schools, the Richmond County Academy; The Citadel, Charleston, South Carolina; Georgia Institute of Technology; and Auburn College, Alabama. He also attended Eastman Business College, Poughkeepsie, New York, at that time one of the best of its kind in the United States, especially favored by Southern students. He early became identified with the Lombard Iron Works and Supply Company, but with the rise of the automobile, he turned his attention to this field and for twenty years represented Ford cars, trucks and tractors, in Augusta. After the death of his father, in 1929, George S. Lombard took over the leadership of the Lombard Iron Works and Supply Company, of which he gradually purchased outstanding holdings, and in 1934 reincorporated as the Lombard Iron Works and Supply Company, thereby retaining the old name. It is hardly necessary to point out that the corporation has a large plant which includes foundry, machine shop, boiler works and mill supplies, and distributes machinery, supplies, tools, over an extensive territory. Its return tubular boilers have a particularly fine reputation.
Like his father who was one of the foremost citizens of Augusta, George S. Lombard has long played active roles in many phases of the city's life and affairs.
George S. Lombard married Alice May Clark, of Springfield, Massachusetts, a daughter of General and Mrs. Embury P. Clark, and they are the parents of six children.
The above article was originally printed in the American Historical Society's The Story of Georgia, 1938, Vol. 4, N.Y.
This article was originally published in the Augusta Chronicle in 1878 and is included in The Handbook of Augusta: A Guide.
Augusta is fast demonstrating to the world by its factories, machine shops and manufacturing interests that it can produce everything necessary for the successful and prosperous advance in every branch of industry, or in other words is illustrating by its home manufactures its independence of the old time orders from the North and different sections of the country. Prominent among these experiments of our home manufactures stands the firm of George R. Lombard and Company. The firm is one of the most substantial in the city, Mr. Lombard being a young man of business ability and one who gives his works his strict and undivided attention. Mr. Harman Rowley is interested financially, and he is one of the strongest capitalists in the state. Mr. Lombard, who manages the large foundry and machine shops on Fenwick Street, near the Augusta Factory, although quite a young man, is thoroughly experienced having taken charge of the works early in 1870. At that time the works were small and not properly fitted, and only fifteen hands were employed. They now are among the largest and best fitted in the South, and steady employment is offered for forty hands. The outfit is complete and each department reflects the care and perfect order of the proprietor. Some of the finest machinery in the South is stored in these shops, Mr. Lombard having the largest lathe in the city for turning pulleys, locomotive drive wheels, etc., and the finest shafting lathe in the South. Numerous lathes for general work, planes, shaping machines, gear cutters, for making fine factory gear, boring and slotting machines, drill presses and other tools all go to make up the magnificent network of machinery daily employed in turning out every description of iron work. In connection with the foundry is one of the finest and largest collection of patterns in the whole country.
The iron for the foundry is brought from North Georgia, and obtained from the Cherokee Iron Company. This ore is as good and pure as any in the world. About 3,000 pounds of casting is done each day, and a large cupola is used when extra large castings are to be made. The largest casting ever made in Augusta was at this foundry, consisting of a bed plate for the hydraulic press in the Augusta Factory, weighing 6,000 pounds. The capacity for casting is however over 10,000 pounds.
Everything in a mechanical way for use or ornament is turned out in the best style, from the finest, most delicate and intricate factory work to the heaviest railroad material. Railroad and factory work, mill work, casting for pumps and general repairs and iron works of every description are manufactured, while the iron fronts and fencing cast at the Forest City Foundry are particularly fine. More saw mill work is done here than at any shops in the South as material is furnished and all repairs made. Gin ribs and gear never before made in this section are manufactured and many classes of fine work hitherto ordered from Northern shops and foundries. Messrs. Lombard & Company keep their own stock of bar iron, thus making the filling of orders cheaper and quicker and obviating the extra profit charged by those who order elsewhere. Sugar rollers and kettles, and pumps for mines and general use are among the finest castings made, and in fact, Lombard & Company are prepared to fill orders for anything in their line. All work for the Augusta, Langley, Graniteville and Jewels Factories and Port Royal Railroad, the Georgia Chemical Works and all the flour mills in Augusta, is done at Lombard's Foundry and Machine Works, and orders are filled for every part of the country. These facts show the estimation in which the shops and the proprietors are held, and it is a matter of congratulation that Augusta has such a worthy home enterprise as Lombard's Foundry and Machine Works.