MENDON BOASTS


| May/June 1966



Railroad warehouse

Mendon, Utah

Most of you have seen Mr. Wood going along with his model steam engine in parades or county and state fairs. The settlers of Cache Valley looked to the coming of the railroad and the evolution of transportation. To drive a team from here to Salt Lake meant at least two days each way. When the information reached Mendon, the Utah Northern was working its way to Cache Valley, labor was volunteered to hurry up the great event. Finally, late in the fall of 1872, grading and laying of steel rails began to approach the quiet settlement. In December of that year, the last rails were layed northeast of town. Officials had sent word that on December 19th, the first train would reach Mendon.

The train was just a coach, flat car and engine. The engine was nicknamed John W. Young, after one of the officials. On December 22, 1872, children were hauled out to Rocky Point in wagons and got a ride on the flat car to Mendon.

Such hilarity and glee these young hearts were thrilled by the new contrivances. They were safely landed home. A well preformed reception greeted the railroad officials and workmen. Old and young turned out to welcome the modern transportation. The meeting home was decorated with long tables laden with good wholesome food. Such a banquet started the festivities, after which speeches and music from the fife and drum corps. Then the floor was cleared for the Grand Ball.

A few people are still with us who took part in it and love to tell there great grand children of the great event.

The old railroad warehouse still stands in Mendon. It is a spacious two story building with elevator and basement, built large enough to accommodate the freight to the first station. After the railroad was abandoned, this building was used by the church to store wheat, vegetables, fruits and dairy products. Tithing in those days was paid in kind. Brother, David Brent, a convert and immigrant from Scotland was employed as tithing clerk.