Morgan Motor Co.

Information comes to light on the history of an early American steam-powered wagon manufacturer


| January/February 2004



morgan

A circa-1903 catalog cut showing a Morgan 10-ton steam-powered truck.

In the July/August 2003 issue of Steam Traction, we ran an article on the Morgan Motor Co., a turn-of-the-century manufacturer of steam-powered wagons based in Worcester, Mass. At that writing our information on Morgan was limited to two photographs of Morgan steam wagons: one showing six wagons under construction and another showing six wagons plying the streets of (presumably) Worcester, Mass. Since running the article we've received additional information on Morgan Motor Co., some of it more than a little surprising.

Morgan History
Walter Jones, Northboro, Mass., was our original source on the Morgan, providing us with the two photographs we ran in the July/August issue. Not long after our article ran, Walter was contacted by Peter S. Morgan, a descendant of Ralph Landers Morgan, founder of Morgan Motor Co.

Morgan Motor Co., Peter told Walter, was an outgrowth of Morgan Construction Co., Worcester, Mass., founded in 1888 by Charles Hill Morgan. Morgan Construction Co., which now manufactures and designs high-quality rolling mills, is still in business. Ralph Morgan was one of Charles' sons.

Ralph Morgan had a keen interest in engines, and his venture into manufacturing steam-powered wagons and trucks is briefly documented in a book published by Morgan Construction Co. in 1988 on the occasion of that company's 100th anniversary.

Morgan's vertical water tube boiler was tested to 600 psi steam pressure. Fueled by a crude-oil burner, it produced 200-psi of working steam in 20 minutes.

According to the book, Morgan Milestones, Ralph Morgan constructed stationary engines 'of several varieties' between 1897 and 1900. He is also cited as having designed a diesel engine in 1899. In 1897 he built a steam-powered buggy, the apparent forerunner of his move into the manufacture of steam-powered wagons in 1902. Ralph established Morgan Motor Co. at a location know as Barber's Crossing in the Greendale section of Worcester. Ralph's operation was situated behind the Morgan Spring Co., which was established by Charles H. Morgan and his brother, Francis, in 1881.

In our original article we said the Morgan Motor Co. was affiliated with Heald Machine Tool Co., also of Worcester. This is apparently untrue. In his conversations with Walter, Peter mentioned that Heald occupied the Morgan Motor Co. building, but after Ralph ceased operations in 1903. Peter also told Walter that one of his relatives worked for Heald, but that appears to be the extent of any connection between the two companies.