OPERATING ANTIQUES STIR MEMORIES AT FOND DU LAC STEAM SHOW JUNE 10TH, 1961


| September/October 1961



7 x 10 double Frick engine

Alan New, Jr., August 1960, with our 7 x 10 double Frick engine No. 21961. As you can see, the Frick is popping off with 150 lbs. of steam and 'raring' to go. Alan can operate this engine by himself very efficiently. He is the son of Mr. and Mrs

Lawrence Fellenz of West Bend and Charles Woizala of Milwaukee were standing on a small steel platform attached to hydraulic arms and were about 75 feet in the air where they were taking pictures of the parade. Suddenly, without warning, the main support arm broke on the Fellenz truck and they were plunged to the ground. Fortunately almost everyone was away from their machine at the time watching the parade and no one was near the falling boom. Fellenz was seriously hurt and both men were taken to the Fond Du Lac Hospital in an ambulance.

After the parade all the units were put to work in the infield and the spectators were shown how they worked. Reckelberger has his 1912 Peerless operating a shingle mill demonstrating how these were made before the days of composition roofing. Kienow had his big Minneapolis operating a portable sawmill cutting lumber. Oeschner's Baker was hooked onto a Massey thresher, and Ray Klinger had his smooth running Keck-Gonnerman actually threshing bundle grain hand pitched into an old Belle City separator. Ahner had his rig hooked to a 40 year old No.8 Birdsall clover huller. These demonstrations went on all afternoon and drew large crowds who marveled at the efficiency of the old machines. In one of the tents a large display of hand-made scale models were in operation. Tony Stadtmueller of Oshkosh had a 3' scale model of a Case steamer with tanker attached, and Leon Vandervort of Tomah had a 4'scale operating model of a Case with a saw rig running. This one was made entirely by hand by electro welding parts together. These engines were complete down to the smallest detail and got lots of attention. C. E. Carlton of Eau Claire had 4 engines and a threshing machine there too. A complete Soo Line train with a big compound engine, 3 cars and caboose, made by Charlie Goldberg of North Fond Du Lac, drew a lot of praise from big and small fry alike. Another thing that pleased everyone was a working model of an old 1900 steam-driven merry-go-round made by C. R. Dickenson of Richfield. Elmer Kranz of Beaver Dam had 2 J. I. Case steamers there also in perfect operating condition.

Next to this tent was a large display of stationary gasoline engines operating everything from generators to water pumps, corn shellers, feed grinders, and blowers. The loud putt-putt-putt, shush, shush, shush of these power plants of the past was sweet music to many an old timer's ears. There were Eagles, Puller & Johnsons, Fairbanks Morse, John Deere, Economy, Witte, Lausons, Stovers, Simplicity, IHC, and Davies working side by side. Rich Garaty of Sullivan had one operating a steam coffee grinder. Another was working a 1900 Voss washer. One of the most interesting units here was an old 1850 that Al Siefeld, the owner, said had been operated by goat power. This was the oldest power plant on the grounds.

<>