This is the outfit that threshed at our place. This engine went to the scrap heap in 1927 and was replaced with a 20 hp Port Huron Compound and the old wooden separator was replaced in 1926 with a Red River Special all steel which was big for our country. It had an extra long feeder so they could get two wagons to it easier and could be lowered almost to the ground so chaining-up was a snap.
The machine is shown unloading a load of bundles at the threshing machine. Two men at the separator pitch the bundles into the thresher after the empty shock loader drives away.
I never owned a threshing rig but have been around them since 1902, so I took it for my hobby. I see many models of threshing machines and engines in the Album. It's fine to make these models if you have a shop full of all kinds of tools but let any of these men make them without a shop or equipment, just simple tools like pliers, hammer, screw-driver, files, vise, punches and drill (small hand-operated one)!!!
The engine has a bore of 2' and stroke of 2' and was machined from rough castings imported from England. The drive is by double chain to the rear wheels and has a ratio of 24 to 1 from the engine. Rear wheels are 20' in diameter and were taken from an old hand roller. Forty pounds pressure runs the rig very well but at eighty the power is amazing. Fred says, 'One nice thing about this is that when the neighbors see it run they think I'm rolling the lawn but I'm just 'playing' with steam. That's me on the water tank.'
Calvin sends us a couple of shots of the first Threshing Bee given by the Nevada Historical Heritage Association, a non-profit corporation set up as an operating museum. The outfit ran like a sewing machine and attracted people from a wide area. He says they are planning a larger run this year plus many other museum activities. Says Calvin, 'So you see, all is not gambling in this country.'
A couple of months ago I ran across this little engine in a large second hand store. It looked a little the worse for wear (and abuse), however, some elbow grease and machine work soon had it in running order.
I'm hoping one of your readers might recognize it and tell me where such an engine was used.
The name plate on the engine shows it was built by the Standard Separator Company of Milwaukee, Wis.
The only part, I believe, missing is a magneto which I think mounts on the little shelf at the rear of the engine.
I have been running the engine with an improvised breaker point and coil assembly, however, I hope to either locate or build a magneto to fit.