Picture courtesy of John D. Klinepeter, Jr., Duncannon, Pa.)
No, the Golden Spike was not driven here! But Wisconsin and Pennsylvania are getting their heads together. These are the Engineers at the Williams Grove Show in 1960. They are also the men who had steam engines in the show.
The Locomotive Section of the Henry Ford Museum contains 12 locomotives that represent the important developments of more than a century in steam transportation. They range from a replica of the English Rocket of 1829 (extreme left) to the huge, 600-ton Allegheny of 1941 (right), one of the last steam locomotives built. The Allegheny, one of the most powerful engines in locomotive history, was designed by the Chesapeake & Ohio for freight mountain duty. On the tracks in the center of the photo is the 1831 DeWitt Clinton, third locomotive to operate in America and the first in New York state. This replica of the locomotive, its tender and three coaches were built by the New York Central in 1893. Behind the DeWitt Clinton and the Allegheny are wood-burning locomotives of the Civil War era and coal-burners of the late nineteenth and early twentieth century.