| September/October 1971

It later saw service for the Oregon Lumber Company of Baker, Oregon. After the logging days came to an end in 1947, the engine was shipped to the Black Hills Central at Hill City, South Dakota.

It was brought to the La Porte County Historical Steam Society, Inc., Grounds at Hesston, Indiana, to be used for providing visitors with train rides over the 2 mile dual gauge (2' x 3') Flying Dutchman Railroad located on the grounds. Boiler pressure is 200 lbs., tractive power is 25830 lbs., drivers, 32 ' Courtesy of Wilbur J. Place, 1602 Weller Ave., La Porte, Indiana 46350.

Out here in our great northwest the derrick system was used very much. Sometimes the 'header' crew would be days ahead of the threshing crew and would stack the heads into long stacks, nearly always two stacks together. As you can see in the picture the derrick was mounted on a wagon and was moved from stack to stack that way. The Jackson Fork was pulled by a team of horses and the driver had to unhook the cable and back his team back and hook up again and that old double tree got awful heavy before those long days were over. Lots of times grain was headed and taken right into the thresher but a lot of rigs used the old derrick way. The man on the stack would push the Jackson Fork down into the stack and take a ton of grain off the first load. It would be pulled up to the center of the table or derrick and the man on the stack would pull his rope and dump the load, then would pull the fork back for another load and that fork got heavy before the day was over.

On my father's rig he used extra power from a different pulley off the separator to the derrick table and a man sat on a seat on the edge of the table and he pulled the forked grain to the derrick and this did away with a team. When grain was put up in bundles this system was never used. The fork had four tines (long) and was about four feet long. At the front of the fork was a catch and when the rope was pulled it dumped the load.

Hope this will explain the 'Jackson Fork.' Courtesy of Clarence E. Mitcham, Route 1, Mead, Washington 99021.

The engine was purchased from Unice Kellems, Darby Indiana in July 1960 and moved to Florida in July 1969. It is currently being restored by Herb Johnson.