The men mentioned in the article are Mr. Baker's relatives. We thought it was an unusual picture and that you would enjoy it. Following is the article taken from The Herndon News:
The writer was recently presented with two pictures of railroad engines or locomotives. The photos were a prize possession of our retired railroad engineer, Lester Baker, who celebrated his 72nd birthday December last.
What makes the photo of the older model (reproduced from an old tin-type) of double value to Mr. Baker is the fact that his grandfather, Daniel Baker, who can be seen standing on the cab of the wood-burning engine, was the engineer. This is supposed to be one of four like engines in operation at the time of its manufacture, which was prior to the Civil War. The engine was used to pull coal cars from the mines at Trevorton to Trevorton Junction (now Herndon) and thence across the Susquehanna River Bridge to Port Trevorton. At that time the old Pennsylvania Canal was in operation and the coal was loaded on boats and taken to Havre de Grace, Md., and other points South.
Mr. Baker was employed by the Pennsylvania Railroad Co.
The large and modern engine is the one Lester engineered prior to his retirement. He is pictured at the front of his engine.
Construction of the railroad between Trevorton and Port Trevorton, was begun in May 1850, and after several years delay, the first train to use its tracks was in the year 1855. This was operated by the Trevorton, Mahanoy and Susquehanna Railroad Co. On August 8, 1867 the line and equipment were sold at sheriff sale to William L. Greenough and John Zerbe Valley Railroad Co. It was however later purchased by the Philadelphia and Reading Coal & Iron Co., and lastly was the property of the Reading Co. The original corporation also built the bridge across the Susquehanna River. The first toll collector at The Herndon Bridge was Parish Hensey, who was followed by William Lamb. The latter will be remembered by some of Herndon's older folks.