50 HP Case at Hookstown, Pennsylvania 1976. Owned by Paul Crow. Four generations of Crow family. Left to right in back: Paul Crow, daughter, Frances Zollars. In front, Christopher Whaley and Larry Whaley, great grandson and grandson. The Whaley boys are f
R. D. 1,Box 470, Charleroi, Pennsylvania 15022.
Well, after two rain-soaked years, we slipped one over on old-man weather. On September 24, 25, at Hookstown Fair Grounds, with near-perfect weather prevailing, we had our best show in several years. A well-organized program, and numerous pieces of machinery were ready for the large crowd that came out to see the show. Slightly less than 5,000 spectators came through the gates in two days.
Featured this year were The Huber Mfg. Co.; the 110 Case was back after an absence of two years, and an interesting showing of horses and horse-drawn machinery under the direction of Frank Briggs. We were able to show a nice 16 H.P. Huber Traction Engine, as we paused to pay tribute to Edward Huber. The engine was shown by its owners, Tom Weaver, and son, Nick. Willis Abel had the 110 Case in top condition and it featured on the fan. At one time, we noted one of its former owners, Charlie Harrison, Fredericktown, Ohio, doing an admirable job of putting it through its paces. We might also add that Everett Hartely, of North Lima, Ohio, nearly stole the show with his mule-powered cut-off saw. The mule's name is Hezekiah.
Our usual program of threshing and baling, sawing, shingle-making, and flour and meal milling, continues to be our favorite attractions. These operations were demonstrated several times daily. Two daily parades of all engines, tractors, antique cars and trucks, and horses received hearty applause. We are always happy to welcome the beautiful Case models of Tom Hatcher & Sons, and Earl Hamilton showed his new half-scale Case model.
The gas tractor and engines department surprised us, as registrations far exceeded those of past years, and we had quite a number of antique cars and trucks. Dean Redd showed and demonstrated his Keystone Skimmer Shovel. Wheat flour and Corn meal were ground on the site and sold, as was apple butter, which was made right on the grounds.
Bill Burris arranged and presented the popular Old Fiddler's Contest on Friday evening, and he and his Green Valley Boys Band entertained on Saturday noon and early evening, and played for the annual square dance on Saturday evening.
Nello Mungai served us well as Show Manager and announced all events. He was ably assisted by Craig Kern. Needless to say, everything went along in a flawless manner. Hookstown Vol. Fire Dept. members did an outstanding job of gate-keeping and parking of cars. There was an abundant supply of good food from two sources on the grounds.
The officers and directors of the Association are elated over the apparent success of this 20th Annual exhibition, and the possibility of a repeat performance for 1977 is almost assured. They are most grateful for the continued support that is being received from year to year.
Officers asre: Pres. Lester Lee; V-Pres. Craig Kern; Treas. Evelyn Crow and Sec. Paul Crow. Directors are: John Sell, Thomas Weaver, Fred Fischer, Glenn Fullerton, Joe Wallace, Vincent McKee, William Mungai, Norman Colby and Sam Reed.
Edward Huber, founder of the Huber Mfg. Co., was a true mechanics, who worked his way throughout life, by overcoming many trying circumstances. He was, in turn blacksmith, wagon maker, inventor and foremost respected citizen. At the time of his death, he was mourned by the entire population of Marion, Ohio.
Early in his career, he invented his idea of a steam engine, which proved to be successful. At that time it was realized that the engine was to be an indispensible part of the equipment of a modern farm. He firmly believed in the idea of a return flue boiler, which had certain distinct advantages. He later developed at least two types of double cylinder construction. The first may have been that of connecting both rods to the same crank pin. Few were made. He was successful with the type where twin cylinders were placed side by side on top of his wide boiler. So that the engine peoper must always be in perfect alignment, his engine's cylinder, bed plate and guide were all cast in one piece.
In 1880 he began the manufacture of a machine that would thresh, clean and separate the grain and save it. It incorporated a substantially constructed cylinder, set in a rigid frame and trued up so it was in perfect balance. Internal moving parts were well proportioned and balanced, eliminating any chance of excess vibration.
By 1900, Huber Co. was among the leaders in production of engines and threshers. Their machines could be found throughout all agricultural areas of the world.
Huber discontinued manufacturing engines and threshers around 1920. The last engine came off the line in 1921 and is now on display in Smithsonian Institute, Washington, D.C. Since that time, they have made a good line of road machinery, rollers and graders, etc.
Francis Huber, grandson of Mr. Huber, was still active in affairs of the Company in recent years, having been Chairman of the Board.
Decidedly, the Huber Co. must stand out as a valued contributor to the agricultural and industrial development of the Nation during the past century.
(Our thanks are extended to Iron-Men Album Magazine and Stumptown Steamer for information we have used.)