1 / 2
60 Hp. Case steam tractor and five grain tanks in the Pion-Era Parade at Saskatoon, Canada in July 1965.
2 / 2

The 1967 Fort Scott Show of the old superannuated steam engines,
tractors, threshers, gas-engines, machinery and antiques was
disagreeably dominated by a lour inch rain-fall beginning Thursday
and ending Saturday evening. The last day of the show was overcast
with a cold north wind to dishearten even the most rugged show

The show ground was completely covered by a mass of lakes, ponds
and ankle deep mud, navigable only with boots, waders, galoshes,
high-top overshoes or barefoot. Resembling a quagmire or swamp,
with the old historical relics dotted everywhere, placidly waiting
in this environment, to be brought into action.

Only those who have attended a rain soaked show, know and fully
realize the difficulties involved, can truly and wholeheartedly
appreciate a fair weather show. Ticket sales were suspended and
admission to the show was by donation and contributions.

The steam engines and heavy machinery that were placed in their
proper position prior to the show were put into action to entertain
the rugged individuals whose enthusiasm could not be dampened. The
Springfield Machinery Company, the sawmill head-quarters for this
area, almost continuously sawed logs into lumber, being undaunted
by the inclement weather conditions.

The steam engine operators steamed up the engines assigned to
them, to operate as stationary engines. Very few attempts were made
to traction the engines. They had the time and were enthused and
pleased to explain each and every part of an engine to those
interested in knowing what makes a steam engine tick, Resembling a
school of instruction.

No situation or circumstance is so bad, even under such adverse
conditions, that a person cannot find a bright side and have
something good and interesting to write about.

With nearly all of the engines and machinery at a stand still,
and the inclement weather, there was very little smoke to inhale,
very little sooty exhaust steam to soil a persons clothes and no
dust to get into a persons eyes. Under these conditions it was a
rare treat for the old engineers and threshermen to visit, make new
friends, spin yarns, tell tall tales and reminisce of their
experiences and accomplishments with the grand old engines and
threshers of yesteryear.

It was interesting to listen to the old timers telling of the
many times they have had engines mired down in soft wet places and
the methods used, and the time involved in getting an engine out of
the mud. Those incidents are never mentioned, and you never see a
person running a sawmill wearing a slicker or raincoat, at a fair
weather show.

Engines perform better and have more power, threshers run
smoother and have more capacity and the grain is cleaner, when the
stories are told, around a warm stove, by a group of old
threshermen. This is one of the high-lights of a rain soaked

Even though the weather was bad, it was a grand opportunity to
re-acquaint ourselves and visit with old friends and have an
enjoyable and most profitable gathering. It can truthfully be said
that this show was a thrilling success.

Mr. George R. Jackson, president of the Pioneer Harvest Fiesta,
states 265 pieces of early american machines and equipment were on
display. Mr. Jackson also supplied the picture showing the wet and
muddy ground with pools of water everywhere.

Nearly everyone present, elected themselves as a committee of
one, to bring others to make 1968 the biggest and best show that
the Pioneer Harvest Fiesta has ever had.


By Ralph Smith, Glenford, Ohio 43739

The Glenford Lions Club sponsored the Hocking Valley Steam and
Antique Power Club, for a first show being held Aug. 12-13, 1967 at
the Glenford School grounds for a two day show. We had eight steam
engines, three separators, (one a hand feed and straw carrier). We
had only three gas tractors, but also seventeen men present with a
collection of 73 gas engines, and two Delco Plants, plus six model
steam engines. We thought this was very good for a first show, and
was very proud of it.

We started with eight loads of wheat, but when one farmer needed
his wagon that wheat was then transferred to the other seven
wagons. They were then very large loads by this time.

We threshed 3 loads on Saturday and 4 on Sunday. The straw was
all baled, so it could be moved off immediately.

One outstanding restoration was an 8 Horse-Power Screen cooled
International Engine, displayed by the youngest member of the
Hocking Valley Club, a high school Senior. This engine had belonged
to this boys’ Great Grandfather, thus making it more
interesting. This engine and a stationary baler, baled most of the

We had demonstrations of Electric cooking by the Ohio Power Co.,
demonstrations of weaving, and spinning, for the ladies.

Our plans are well under way for next year’s show, which
will be held Aug. 10-11, 1968. We know more about what is needed
now to make a bigger and better show, and we are working hard
toward this end. (This was the first show south of Interstate 70,
and in this section of Ohio.


By Clarence E. Mitcham, Route 1, Mead, Washington 99021

We took in the Bee at the William Raupp farm in Lewis County
near Toledo, Wash, on Aug. 27th. They had a nice crowd and lots of
things to see. The OLD TIME AUTOs were the best I have ever seen.
It was hot and I mean hot and a breeze came up in the P.M. and
covered the place with a fine coating of straw. They had a fine
place to have a Bee but have no water or electricity. I burnt out
my P.A. system and my broadcasting was a flop. We stayed all night
Sun. with a steam friend in Van Couver Wn. and the next day stopped
at Hood River, Oregon and picked up 2 boxes of pears 3 boxes of
apples at my cousins place, the Ray Huffs. Then headed for Walla
Walla. It was so hot in the canyon that if you had stopped you
would have melted right there. The next day (Tue.) we stopped at
Penawawa on the Columbia River and picked 3 boxes of peaches. This
is the last year for fruit there as the Little Goose Dam will flood
the orchards. We got home in P.M. and started canning fruit so we
could leave on Friday for Orofono.

We got to Orofino about 6 P.M. on Friday and Joe Richardson met
us and told us not to get our supper as the bunch was going to a
restaurant. About 32 of us had dinner and when we went to pay for
it we found that the bill had been paid. On Sat. the boys got
everything ready for the big day. Had it all in place by 6 P.M.
Then everybody got ready for the big dinner and meeting. We had a
wonderful dinner and again the same thing, no charge. There was
about 150 people there and we had a long meeting and a swell time.
After the meeting we danced to a fine orchestra. Next morning we
woke up to the music of men splitting wood and building fires in
the engines. They had a dandy Bee and lots of things to see, a nice
crowd and a fine day. Mr. Dan Nichols of Spokane had his display
for the first time, John Uhlenkott had his Case port. fully
restored and beautifully painted, also a small stationary engine
connected to it and running. Joe had his 3 Case engines and all
running also a small Advance. There were 3 or 4 engines from other
parts of the country too. They had the big fan and the
teeter-totter going all day. Joe went to a lot of work getting the
field all wet down and electricity into the grounds. On Sun. nite
they showed slides and movies on the grounds after dark. We left on
monday in A.M. and Jack Berry (Our Sec.) and wife followed us home.
We had a nice visit with them and that evening went over to Cecil
Pounders and Jack got to see his collection. Next morning we went
to town (Spokane) and to John Uhlenkoots place and Jack got a
surprise here. If you ever want to see the work of a master go see
his collection of small steam things and his wood working projects.
They are out of this world. He is now building a 25 X 40 ft. garage
to put his displays in. John Berry and wife left for home after a
fine dinner at Uhlenknoots.

We left for Jones on Thursday the 21st of Sept. We stopped at
Bridgeport Wn. to visit the Fred Schmidts. That afternoon they took
us on a sight seeing trip to the town of Brewster Wn. Then to the
new Satellite Communication station only a few miles out of
Brewster. I didn’t know there was anything like that in our
North West. It is open to the public and the big 135 ton (Dish)
antenna stands 10 stories high. Its really something to see. On
Friday Mr. Jones had a Bee for the school kids in that district.
They came in Buses From Riverside Omak Tonasket. Mel Anderson and
Slim Beerbower were there to help. They had about 6 Agrt. agents
from different districts and they told the kids all about how the
grain was ground etc. Mr. Jones told them how the engine was fired
and how it worked and how the grain came thru the separater. Then
they hooked it up and threshed a small stack for the kids. 6-7-and
8 graders. The kids had a ball. They got a big kick out of the
grain coming out of the spout. They filled their pockets and ate
it. They all brought sack lunches. The schools furnished the
drinks. I am sure glad I didn’t have to clean those Buses. Why
don’t other districts do this before all our old Steam Friends
are gone? We all went to the grange hall in Riverside Sat. nite.
They had slides and movies after a nice lunch furnished by the
ladies of the grange. We danced till 11 P.M. and called it quite.
On Sun. the 24th we had a swell day and a nice crowd. Lots of
displays. Mel Anderson had his hot air engine there-Dan Nichols had
his display – Chas. Banta had his small enginesThe old car club was
out in force. There were people there from Oregon Idaho Canada.
Close to 1000 people saw wheat get spanked that day. At noon they
had their famous pot luck dinner and you have to see it to believe
it. The 4H club had a stand and sold drinks and eats too. There is
something about Jones Bees that no other Bee had but I can’t
tell you what it is. Everybody is there for a good time and no one
is a stranger. I hope I can go as long as he has them.

On Sept. 30th we went to Pounders and they got the engines all
steamed up and threshed a little to see if it was ok. Then it
started raining so we all gave up. It rained all nite till about 9
AM on Oct. 1 the sun came out off and on all day. We had a dandy
crowd and a swell Bee, only two disappointments Kelso of Reardon
and Anderson of Okanogan didn’t get to bring their engines
account of rain but Charles Banta – Henry Van Altwrost – John
Uhlenkott – Dan Nichols of Spokane had their collections. Cecil
Scott of Lewiston had his little steam engine and a pop corn poper
and gave the kids popcorn all day. Norm Bjorneby of Spokane had his
85 year old high wheel hard rubber bicycle & road it up and
down the road & people took pictures by the yard.

Charles Banta was in his glory as Cecil Pounder let him run the
18 hp Minnie, all day. A lot of steam Friends were there from all
over the district. Colfax-Leweston
Orofino-Lind-Reardan-Okanogan-Riverside-The Palouse-Colville and
Montana & the Orcutts from Seattle had been to all the 4 Bees.
About 2 PM we asked all the Steam Fiends to come to the Engine
(Minnie) to get their picture taken and about 30 showed up and then
we gave a wrist watch to Joe Ritchardson & was he surprised. It
is a dandy called a ACRATON by BULOVA. It also has the day of the
month on it, runs for 18 months on batteries. On the back is
engraved (To Joe W.S.F.A. 1967) it is supposed to be the best watch
money can buy. We had it since Sept. 5th when our Sec. John Berry,
John Uhlenkoot-Cecil Pounder and myself picked it out. It was only
a small gift compared to what Joe did for the STEAM FIENDS at
Orofino on Sept. 2 & 3rd. We hope he enjoys it for years to

The rain held off till they were all done threshing then they
ground some of the grain into flour and sold it. A young peoples
club ran a stand and sold eats and drinks and they sold out. All in
all it was a big success and now all we have to do is wait till
next year.

Yours – Mitch

Farm Collector Magazine
Farm Collector Magazine
Dedicated to the Preservation of Vintage Farm Equipment