×
×

SOME HISTORY

Author Photo
By B. B. Brown

913 Dutton, Avenue, San Leandro, Calif.

The following is a re-written letter, sent to the editor of Farm
Implement News, a few weeks ago, and is self explanatory. I am
adding the last paragraph. perhaps if this misses the waste basket,
it might be of interest to many readers of the ALBUM Editor, Farm
Implement News, Chicago, Illinois.

SIR:

When we read your article in Aug. 10, 1950, of Farm Implement
News, one would believe that in substance you say C. Aultman and
Co., by a reorganization became Aultman and Taylor Mchy. Co. So,
let’s peep into the past and cheek the records.

Prior to 1863, C. Aultman and Co., located in Canton, Ohio, was
building the ‘Buckeye’, binders., reapers, mowers and other
farm tools. In 1863 Cornelius Aultman together with one Lewis
Miller (a stockholder-inventor) organized Aultman, Miller and Co.,
and built a plant in Akron, Ohio. This plant also built
‘Buckeye’ binders, mowers and other farm tools, continuing
in business until 1903, when they went into the hands ” a
receiver. In 1911 they were bought out by International Harvester
Co.

In 1890 C. Aultman and Co., Canton. Ohio, discontinued buildings
all farm machinery, except threshing machines, traction engine and
saw mills. In 1893, C. Aultman and Co., went into receivership
later re-organizing as Aultman Engine and Thresher Co., and
continued in business to about 1910, when we find a concern, The
Engine and Machinery Co., advertising that they  now own all
patterns, etc., and could make  supply all repairs for
machinery formerly built by C. Aultman and Co.

In 1867, Henry H. Taylor, the big Chicago jobber and C. Aultman
organized, what later became the world famous ‘STARVED
ROOSTER’ line, the Aultman and Taylor Machinery Co., of
Mansfield, Ohio. In 1924 Aultman-Taylor sold out to Advance-Rumely
Co., (a merger of) M. Rumely Co., Advance Thresher Co., Gaar-Scott
and Co., and Northwest Thresher Co.

In 1931 the Allis-Chalmers Co., bought out Advance-Rumely Co.,
and on this date all these one time famous old thresher companies
pass into history.

This would not be complete if failing to mention the
‘Starved Rooster’ trade mark. Some say at least one old
line thresher concern used a similar trade-mark. It is mentioned
that Port-Huron Engine and Thresher Co., used such a trademark,
however, no one seems to be able to produce Port-Huron literature)
showing such a trademark. They did run several ads, in some of the
thresher publications; showing the old bird, flat on. his back,
feet in the air, but dead. This, many old timers considered a big
joke and quite a toke off on Aultman-Taylor’s famous bird.

Aultman and Taylor in 1876, registered the ‘starved
Rooster’, trademark in the IT. S. Patent Office.

It is hoped that the above will clarify the history of these two
old concerns: C. Aultman and Co., and Aultman and Taylor Machinery
Co.; the the latter was not a successor to or the outgrowth of the
former.

The above will also correct a similar statement, made on page 30
of Clymer’s ‘Album of Steam Traction Engines’.

PICTURES FROM ALVORDTON

Mr. Lee C. Fisher, Box 41, Northville, Michigan, sot a good
picture of the Stanley Steamer; Williamson’s Engine and one
general view of the threshing scene. If interested, contact
him.

Published on Sep 1, 1951

Farm Collector Magazine

Dedicated to the Preservation of Vintage Farm Equipment