5th Annual Reunion and Steam-up Show
R.D. 1, Box 139, Sharon Road, Bridgeport Ohio 43912
This year we moved to our new show grounds. We have around nine acres of almost level ground. It is situated one mile west of New Athens, Ohio on State Route 519. We received so many nice compliments on our new show grounds that we are very happy over it. We did not have much time, about six weeks to be exact to get it in order to have our show. Every one cooperated and we worked hard and it paid off.
Some thirteen Steam Traction Engines occupied our infield, together with a portable steam engine and three small models. The two Baker fans were often set to turning. The saw mill buzzed away both days of our show, with different engines taking turns and some fine lumber was sawed. The shingle mill was kept busy and every one went away with a shingle or two for a souvenir.
Our stone burr corn meal machine was also kept busy and people stood in line to buy a bag of old fashioned corn meal. And, Oh, how good those corn muffins taste. The corn meal machine was run by a steam engine designed and built by Mr. Fred Rogers out of scraps from here and there.
We had five seperators, a 30-inch Champion hand-fed built in 1895, two 28-46 case, a 28-46 Huber and a 2846 Red River Special. We did not get to thresh the first day due to showers on and off all day. They really got a good work out the next day when it was sunny all day long.
We had four balers, a John Deere, an Ann Arbor, an Ohio and an Oliver.
Our mule team pulling a covered wagon was very popular, especially with the youngsters.
We had quite a number of gas engines on display and running. Two brothers, members of our Club enjoy collecting all kinds of antiques. They have a 1930 model Chevrolet Sedan, a 1930 Ford pick-up truck. These run and look like new. They also displayed an antique bicycle, a childs tricycle, wagon and several sleds.
The ladies of our group had a bazaar for the first time this year for which they are very proud. They are already making plans for next years show.
Saturday evening we had a pony pull and afterwards old fashioned square dancing was enjoyed for several hours.
Our picture gallery seemed to be a popular place.
Each day at four, we had our grand parade which gave the crowds an opportunity to see the antiques and models pass in review. Mr Kenny Cope was in charge of the P. A. system.
Sunday morning, we had our usual worship service which always features the hymn 'Bringing in the sheaves'.
Officers of our club are Mr. Charles Harrison, Scio, Ohio, President, Mr. Herbert Holmes, MOundsville, W. Va., vice-president and Mr. Asel A. Gabel, Colerain, Ohio, secretary-treasurer.
On November 18, we had our fall fun meeting at New Athens Fire House, New Athens, Ohio. We had a covered dish dinner with Ham and Turkey, Rolls and coffee being served by the club. Our attendance was 125.
After dinner a short report was given on our 1967 show. Movies of the show were given. Then we square danced for a couple hours. A good time was had by all.
Our Auxiliary had election of officers with Mrs. Asel A. Gabel, Colerain, Ohio President, Mrs. Herbert Holmes, Moundsville, W. Va. Vice-President, Mrs. Ralph Dickerson, Cadiz, Ohio secretary and Mrs. Charles Harrison, Scio, as treasurer.
Our show is always the Saturday and Sunday following Labor Day.