The First Thresher Reunion


| September/October 1974



Steam engine

Courtesy of LeRoy W. Blaker, Alvordton, Ohio 43501

LeRoy W. Blaker

Alvordton, Ohio 43501.

There were several groups of threshermen having demonstrations of grain threshing about the time of World War Two.

Mr. Perry Hayden, A Quaker miller of Tecumseh, Michigan in Lenawee county planted a cubic inch of wheat containing 360 kernels in the Fall of 1940. The next July 1941, the wheat was carefully harvested by cutting off the heads and putting them in a sack to dry on the back porch of the Hayden home.

They were carefully threshed with a carpet beater and winnowed and every kernel saved that made 18,000 kernels, or 50 cubic inches. After Mr. Hayden gave his tithe or one tenth to his Quaker church, he had the remaining 45 cubic inches planted on September 26, 1941. Mr. Hayden and his Quaker pastor, Rev. Escolme named this project-'Dynamic Kernels'.

This 45 cubic inches of wheat was equally divided into 45 envelopes, and given to 45 children to plant. Before planting started, it was discovered one of the boys had chewed his cubic inch of wheat into wheat gum and swallowed it, so another cubic inch of wheat of the same variety was gotten elsewhere to replace the wheat that was eaten.

This second crop was cut with cradles on July 4th, 1942 in a cradler's contest, and the oldest- 92 was Harmon Russ of Adrian, Mich. This 1942 cradled crop of wheat was taken to Michigan State College to be threshed in a special small thresher used for that purpose. It yielded 70 pounds of wheat, or 54.4 fold yield. This was 1.16 bushels of wheat from the original cubic inch in two years or 2448.6 cubic inches or 881,499 kernels from the original 360 kernels.