The Homestead Harvest 1994

| July/August 1995

RR3 Shawville, Quebec, JOX 2Y0

My good friend Tom Quinell from Hungtingdon, Quebec, phoned me before 6 a.m. on August 20th to find out if I was going to thresh that day at the show. It was raining 'cats and dogs' at the time. We were on the phone and Tom asked, 'Are you going ahead today?' I said, 'Yes if it stops raining.' We had loaded all the grain the week before and had it in the shed to dry. Anyway, from my place to Tom's is 3 hour drive. We hung up the phone and by 9 a.m. it stopped raining and the boys here had the three engines all fired up. We belted up to the mills and were ready to thresh by 10 a.m., when in came Tom. He sure didn't waste any time! Well, we had all three steam threshing outfits going. The show crowd kept coming and with three mills and three engines going at the same time, it was sure quite a sight!

David Strong, from Perth, firing Sawyer Massey portable engine. I think he has enough wood to do the winter there. That's Henry Behm from Cobden, Ontario, looking on. Henry likes threshing very much he comes here every year.

My good wife Evelyn and my daughter Vera Lynn Campbell were getting the dinner ready. The noon whistle blew. We had put through quite a bit of grain by this time, and we all headed for the house for dinner. They had roast beef, roast pork, and pumpkin pie with the wife's special ty whipped cream from the cows, all five gallons of it. She just 'buried' the pumpkin pie in it. Sure went down real well! Lots of ladies were helping Evelyn with the meals and people were bringing food in. We sure had lots to eat!

Keith Miller firing a Sawyer Massey traction engine. Look how easy Sawyer Massey engines are to fire just see how relaxed Keith is!

I think we could have stayed and had Christmas dinner! After we had dinner we started to thresh again and then along came the fiddle players and we had music all afternoon and evening until 12 p.m. We had supper at 6 p.m. and had another snack at 12 p.m. We really did eat a lot and it was fun. Evelyn said we served 300 meals that day! For all the help from the ladies who came and brought food, we say, Thank You!