THE LAST FRICK TRACTION


| November/December 1960



Ordinary Engine

Assistant Manager & Advertising, Frick Company, Waynesboro, Pa.

The last Frick steam traction engine, which was built in 1929, was recently purchased by W. H. Carrick of Denton, N. C, who will place it among his collection of antique engines. Mr. Carrick already owns three Geiser and three other Frick engines.

The picture shows this fine engine, No. 29,592, threshing wheat at the farm of the previous owner, C. W. Thornhill, R. D. 2, Culpeper, Virginia. The picture was taken on July 6, 1960, and the engine is driving a 28 by 47 Frick steel thresher which was 'built new' in 1947.

Mr. Thornhill has threshed wheat with a Frick rig every season for the past 46 years. He also owns and operates a Frick sawmill, which is installed in a field on this same farm.

Mr. Thornhill bought the Frick engine from Ager P. Gregg, who then lived at Dickerson, Maryland, and who had used the engine for thirty years.

No. 29,592 is no ordinary engine. She sports a jacketed boiler built with butt-strap riveting to hold 150 to 175 pounds of steam; her 91/2 inch by 10 inch cylinder delivers 65 horsepower. Her oversized water tank holds 150 gallons. Her extra-long crankshaft is fitted with a second belt wheel. The ground wheels are a heavy-duty 'hauling' type, with steel rims 7/8 inch thick and with 24 spokes; they are both driven through cushion springs from the 51/4 inch axle. These drivers are as high as a man, being 74 inches in diameter, with a 20 inch width. Total weight of the engine is around 25,000 pounds.