Fairbanks, Indiana 47849
This is a picture of a Stevens steam engine and Stevens separator built in Wisconsin about 1902. It was used on a farm in Sullivan County, Indiana, two miles southeast of Fairbanks, about 1904.
Pictured left to right: with the threshing rig, John Mulligan, Don Starkey, Wakely Milligan; Clay Jewel and Ben Frakes on the water wagon. Not in the picture, but a member of the crew, was Gene Ransford.
Wakely Milligan with co-owner, son-in-law Clay Jewel, had the threshing run and sawmill for many years. Clay Jewel used the steam engine for road construction between 1915 and 1919. Also, he used the steam engine to 'sink' the Scott City coal mine west of Shelburn, Indiana, Sullivan County, in 1909. Note the steam dome is to the rear of the Stevens engine, very unusual place for the steam dome.
John Milligan, son of Wakely Milligan, with his wife and two children, moved to a large ranch in Oelrichs, South Dakota in 1912, where they lived the rest of their lives.
Wakely Milligan was a son-in-law of Henry Johnson and Henry's family were pioneers of Fairbanks Township.
Gene Ransford with his son Edward and Don Starkey operated a threshing machine and sawmill from 1918 to 1968.
Loren Higbee and family, great grandson of Henry Johnson and grandson of Wakely Milligan still resides on part of the farm. The land is now rented by Henry Johnson's great-great-grandson, Bruce Ransford, son of Edward Ransford.